Desktop Intel Drivers vs Laptop Intel Drivers

Discussion in 'hardware' started by berryracer, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I notice that when you go to hte Intel Download Center, you choose the chipset you have either laptop or just regular chipset.....

Is there a difference in hte actual drivers?

I sometimes feel that if I install the latest Intel Chipset Drivers v9.3.0.1020 it might be missing some components in my laptop as opposed to the drivers that shipped with my Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 which are Intel Chipset Drivers v9.2.0.1021

Same thing goes for the Intel Management Engine Components,

I notice that the 8.xxx IME support: (X79/Z77/Z6:cool: while the 7.xxx support: (H61/H67/P67/Z6:cool:........ what are these anyway? I have an Intel 6 HM65 chipset in my laptop......

When I installed the latest 8.xxx IME it installed fine......but then I had double thoughts about them and reinsatlled 7.1.40.1161

Finally......what about the Intel Rapid Storage Technology.......would you install the latest ones on a laptop or are the latest ones meant for desktop PCs and its better to stick to the ones that shipped with the laptop?
    My laptop came with Intel Rapid Storage Technology v10.1.2.1004

But I notice there are 2 newer ones:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology v10.8.0.1003
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology v11.1.0.1006 WHQL

This is so confusing

2. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I'm using Intel Rapid Storage Technology v11.1.0.1006 and other drivers you mention without issues. It does get confusing but personally I just use the latest version of the drivers and if I have issues I rollback or restore an image backup. I notice the newer version of drivers seem to add support for newer hardware and the typical bug fixes.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  3. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

You should always install the latest drivers for your chipsets. The ones supplied by the laptop vendor were the latest at the time of shipment, that does not mean they are special drivers for your laptop. So go ahead and install the latest ones from intel website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.