desktop.ini and folder.htt

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by GARGPR, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GARGPR

GARGPR Registered Member

Hello:

I need your help with a situation that I have on my Windows 98 computer. Desktop.ini and folder.htt have shown up on my computer. I ran NAV scan but it did'nt find anything. Also ran Ad-Aware and Spybot SD. I did a google search and it referenced a Wilder's Security forum post dated Feb. 8, 2004 posted by henrymad and he was helped by Pieter Arntz. I edited desktop.ini as follows:

[ShellClassInfo]
    ConfirmFileOp=0
    NoSharing=1

I also unclicked folder.htt from being a hidden file and clicked read only. Was this wise to do?

I then followed Blackspear's General Virus and Trojan removal instructions. Although I could not run (Error: Kernel32.Dll at 015f:bff9dba7) NAV or Trojan Hunter (I ran A squared instead) in Safe mode. No Viruses or Malware were detected. I did run Nav in Regular mode but it also found nothing. I ran Trend Micro's on-line scan but it did'nt detect anything either.

Thank you for taking time to read my post. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. GARGPR

GARGPR Registered Member

Snowbound:

Thank you for your response. I went to the link that you provided in your response. I am still not sure if the files (desttop.ini and folder.htt) are viruses or not.

GARGPR

4. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.