Describe Your BSD Experience

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by AutoCascade, Jul 10, 2017.

1. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

The last time I tried it I dropped it because under BSD Chromium seemed to be unsandboxed (chrome://sandbox) however it appears that there is a sandbox but it is unrecognized by Chromium itself since its not one that Chromium is designed to work with by the Chromium developers. The same is likely true of Firefox.

Supported desktops at least on FreeBsd were very old (at least when I last tried it) and getting support is an exercise in patience.

There is a lot of attitude from BSD users that no one should ask questions at least that's my take and searching online for answers is no panacea.

So I'm curious to hear other Linux users describe their BSD experiences. I'm betting a lot of distro hoppers have tried it along the way.

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

BSD is not for average users. More likely for developers.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Most of my experience was PC-BSD in VirtualBox. Worked OK most of the time, but eventually dropped because it was mostly pointless since I have no use for it.

Pure FreeBSD went over my head, and I didn't bother to learn it. And yeah, I remember their attitude: RTFM.

4. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

I am running a pfsense firewall which is based on FreeBSD. Once I had it configured there hasn't been a problem since.

Just yesterday I tried OpenBSD 6.1. The basic installation is very easy and well, very basic. It takes only a few minutes. I had a problem with configuring Xfce, though. I will investigate soon but just wanted to check out if it was compatible with Libreboot.

Re attitude:
    I am not a friend of making generalisations. I think there are all kinds of people among the Windows, Linux and BSD users. There are just fewer BSD users in general. To be fair, the man pages I read were very well written and very precise. Learning the basics by reading the man pages shouldn't be hard.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I also use pfSense, obviously ;) And I've used FreeBSD to build packages for pfSense. But I've never bothered to learn it.

I do note that *BSD VMs are useful for compartmentalization. Because they have different graphics fingerprints from the Debian family, which I mostly use. PC-BSD works well enough for that.

6. AutoCascade

It's really not a generalization. It's prevalent in their forums, mailing lists etc. especially in OpenBSD. No matter how detailed documentation is there will always be questions.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

My BSD experience is very much BDSM. That's the most adequate description.
    Lots of pain, with brief moments of pleasure and excitement.
    Mrk

8. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Mine? Mac OSX. Quite pleasant, polished, user-friendly and stable. Not Linux but Unix.

9. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

Okay, to be honest I don't have a lot of experiences with BSD forums. I had to look up a few things in pfsense forums then and didn't notice that kind of attitude.

Well, I did try OpenBSD 6.1 again today and installed the Lumina desktop. I had no problems this time and everything I had installed is working fine. I am not in the mood for tweaking the desktop and playing around much but I think I will soon.
    For now I am still more than satisfied with Arch/Parabola.

10. AutoCascade

Lumina does work well with BSD and OpenBSD is likely the most secure desktop out there though maybe HardenedBSD gives it a run for its money.