Describe the advantage of each anti spyware scanner with phrases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by vkidv, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmadani

nmadani Registered Member

No need to be dogmatic about SAS guys. I have no doubt that it is a good removal tool. I paid for my two licenses. However, when I installed it on a system that previously only had an outdated anti-virus program. It detected abut three dozen cookies and only a handful of other malware, nearly all were removed, with the exception of a one item if I remember correctly. A comprehensive SpySweeper scan after SAS found and removed over 50 more adware, etc. A final scan with Prevx then only found three false positives. Depending on one's surfing habits and location, and whether you have a router, use which cable company etc. your chances of picking malware probably vary. Reliance on a single product from a small company with limited resources as far as comprehensiveness of signature database would be concerned is not very wise. On the other hand, SAS developers are very responsive and I doubt that you could catch any malware that they would not help you to get rid of through their support.

2. ShizzySupra

ShizzySupra Registered Member

50 more things found.......interesting. Do you have the log at all? That's quite a big claim. :(

3. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Can you paste the log of what it actually found? It could be simple cookies and/or trace items that really aren't harmful or causing the infection.

4. nmadani

nmadani Registered Member

I followed the advice of our IT Dept who wiped and rebuilt PC rebuilt using a Norton Ghost image and the SS logs are newer than the original scan. It was also their recommendation to scan with SpySweeper (we have an enterprise/corporate subscription).

Most of the stuff detected were seemingly harmless but there were quite a few surprises:

I remember that CoolWebSearch was not reported by SAS. There were two purported keyloggers (in the interim I noted these are (purposefully?) not detected by SAS). Another rootkit called "hack defense" of defender or something like that. There were other files classified as trojans. There were also some MS office macro viruses.

The alleged keyloggers were most concerning at the time since this all started with my CC company contacting me about unauthorized attempts to use my account (no further details provided due to ongoing investigation with law enforcement).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.