Deploying NOD32 to Windows 2008 hosts from ESET Server

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Fulgan, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fulgan

Fulgan Registered Member

Hello everyone.

I'm evaluating NOD32 to replace our aging AV solution in the office.

Part of the reasons I need to update our AV system is to support Windows Vista and Windows 2008 Server.

In order to perform these tests, I have setup a test domain with a mix of XP, vista and 2008 clients (using VMs). I have also created a dedicated server for ESET Server and set it up as a mirror server. That machine is running Windows 2008 server. The firewalls of all these machines are disabled through AD policies do it doesn't get in the way.

So far, I have been completely unsucessful to deploy the AV client on any windows 2008 servers except for the ESET server. "Push" installs results in "unable to connect to IPC". I've tried exporting the deployment package to a folder and manually run it but, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do anything.

Another caveat I've encountered is that I couldn't find any reasonable way to do any of the following:

- Update all the client to use the "newest and latest" version of the configuration file: re-installing seems to work fine, but it doesn't change the client's config.
    - The "uninstall" option seems to stay greyed.

I haven't tested the XP and Vista clients yet, only 2008 server so I don't know how these behave.

I have read the documentation but couldn't find anything specific to this kind of deployment. All these machines are fresh install with nothing on them at all but a few roles (file and print server for one, IIS for another, AD controller for a last one, exchange to be coming shortly).

Could anyone point me to a documentation or explain to me what I'm doing wrong, please ? I have a month on my trial license to perform that eval.

2. goran_larsson

goran_larsson Registered Member

Stupid question pherhaps, but can you setup an IPC$ connection from the server you are deploying it from at all ? (hint try at the command prompt net use \\servername\ipc$ /user:domain\user and add the password when it asks) The user has to have administrative rights on the system and network for you to be able to deploy it but I think you know this ?

I have this other issue where I cannot use the get info or diagnostics from the install package dialogue box on the servers, all clients work like a charm but the servers don't, We're using windows 2003 R2 on all our system except for the cluster server.

/regards Göran

3. cgreentx

cgreentx Registered Member

I'm having the issue of being unable to push to other machines from a Windows 2008 NOD32 Remote Server. I was able to push to the local host, but not the 2008 servers or vista desktops. All have firewall disabled and I can get IPC connectivity to them without issue.

Any ideas?

Chris Green

4. mkuntic

mkuntic Registered Member

Don't push - deploy. Didn't you notice that NOD32 comes in the form of a - MSI package?

Just put an adequately configured cfg.xml file next to the MSI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.