DEP on XP (Pro)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Not sure if it's the same on Home.

I've always just used the default "for essential Windows programs and services only". But I just decided to switch it up and turn it on for all programs and services except those I select.

I really wish it was a whitelist instead of a blacklist, because I ended up blacklisting almost every program on my computer. Fortunately, I don't have much on my box. I only spared a few internet facing things (i.e. Firefox, Pidgin, Sandboxie, Comodo). As is the general logic. So pretty poor implementation of this feature I'd say.

I noticed that after changing this, at boot my physical memory usage is now even lighter than before. I wonder why this is the case? I expected the opposite to be true, if any change at all.

Also it didn't save my list the first time. It asked for a reboot, I did so, and the list was gone. But apparently the second time is a charm, and it stuck.

And yes, I know DEP by itself isn't nearly as strong as when combined with other mitigation techniques. And no, I'm not using EMET. I did in the past and noticed a definitive slowdown. I notice it from installing .NET Framework alone for that matter (needed for EMET).

Anyone else notice lower RAM usage after turning DEP on for all programs/services on XP? Or any other stories/experiences you'd like to share with me? Advice welcome too (other than the EMET thing).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.