Dennis Technology Labs: PC Total Protection Suites 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by malexous, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Webroot Internet Security performed well in AV-Test.org's Real-World Testing during the fourth quarter of 2010.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Better wait for av-comparatives...;)

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha true :D
    I'm always waiting for AV-C tests, i feel like it's done better than the others :D

4. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

hahahahahahaha. lol. :thumb:

5. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

If I'm not reading anything wrong, 50 unique malware were used. It's not even remotely enough to provide a meaningful analysis for detection/prevention capabilities of a product. I'll pass.

6. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

well, what a silly methodology - looking for false positives etc, not for real protection and zero day blocking - total craptest, sponsored by Symantec.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

False positives have caused me more issues than any virus and has been my reason for removing more than one AV product in the last 2 years. It's been 6 years since I have actually been infected with anything. You don't have to value that part of the test if you don't care about it. I myself consider it more important than actual detection. ;)

PS:
    I don't necessarily mean to give credit to this test. Not enough samples to be useful.

8. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

If FP ratio is measure of how good AV program is, then having no AV is the best AV you can get, right ? ;)

9. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Detection and number of FPs are both important. An AV that detects everything as malware is not very useful either.

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've been tempted to feel that way. Any time I have to reformat a machine due to a false positive it leaves me feeling like I'd rather take the chance of not running AV. When the false positive is a system file or breaks your internet connection beyond repair it is a big deal. Especially when it is a server at work and your job is on the line.

11. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

you would realize importance of FP when u encounter your essential app being detected.

More importantly , FP is imp as it determines accuracy of your heuristic algorithm .
    We can block everything suspicious, so it would be best as it would detect everything and of-course give a lot of Fp but this isn't the correct way .. right

You need to code something that effectively separate good from bad ... it has to be actually designed during coding which is not easy to devlop as it sounds...

Hope now you would have realized the Importance of FP :)

12. Sher

Sher Registered Member

Complete ~ Snipped as per TOS ~!!! TM at no. 2? ROFLMAO!!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
  13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Not surprised at Norton, but am surprised at Avira. I will be interested in the next AVC tests.

Regards,
    Jerry

14. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

I see that not everyone get the joke...

Anyway, Dennis Labs done the same thing as last year. They're happy, Symantec is happy, only user could be mislead. I don't put to much trust into the sponsored test since they tend to show results that are most important from marketing point of view :cool:

If that what have been said about 50 samples is true then that sample size is definitely to low and reminds me more Youtube test then real testing that we could expect from Technology Labs. Just my 0.02 €

Also, please don't get me wrong, I'm far from stating that Norton is bad IS/AV :)

15. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I don't know how happy Symantec can be with five FPs out of a sample set of 50 clean files.

16. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Well if as everyone says that Symantec "doctored" the results just because they paid for it, why wouldn't they have deleted the 5 false positives from the results ?

17. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Why ? Just because GData didn't win ?

18. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

They gotta make it look "unbiased". Imagine a 100% protection and 0 FP's.... would you bite it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.