Dennis Technology Labs ~ January - March 2013 tests.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by malexous, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

What if it's the other way around and it's the vendors who seem to be trying to grab b***s? :D

AV-C, AV-Test and even DTL are all approved by AMTSO. That means the committee there has found the methodology acceptable. Regulation? Perhaps regulation needs to be done to all; not just AV Testing organizations.

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I appreciate when testing organizations come here to explain, and sometimes defend, their tests and methodologies. I happen to agree that tests would be even more disregarded if they all used similar methods.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

What about the other AV vendors may I ask? I mean, the ones in my signature for example...

So IBK is a close friend of Mr. Edwards... hmmm :cautious:

A matter of trust I guess. How would we know anyway?

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Next week is again conference season, so in the security field almost everyone meets everyone ;).

5. si_ed

si_ed Registered Member

Hi there.

Vendors, partners or otherwise, may not have their results removed if they simply don't like them. If they can prove that we have made a mistake then obviously we would correct errors.

Dennis Technology Labs is an independent lab. We are not owned or part-owned by any vendor or vendor-related business. Our results are based on a fair methodology that has withstood AMTSO scrutiny. We'd also had our fair share of heated debate with some vendors. We always stand up for what we believe is the right way to test and to do business even if it upsets certain departments within the vendor organisations.

When we test live web threats (usually drive-bys) we verify that they would work before we use them. When we know that we have a threat that will work on our baseline system (a specific combination of OS and vulnerable apps), we use that against the same system but with the security product installed. Details about this are in the report - please search for the term VTS, which stands for Verification Target System.

Simon

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

8. malexous

malexous Registered Member

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Just because results are published or are associated with a well known establishment doesn't always mean they are accurate or the methodology is "good":-the Lancet published results of a certain Andrew Wakefield linking MMR to autism,you don't get any more respected than the Lancet(PS this link was debunked but look at the damage it has done!)

10. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

This argument will continue for ever and no one over here has been still able to prove the validity of these tests apart from saying " this is certified,that is certified."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.