Demo version

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I downloaded the demo version on 20 sept 2005.

However, due to the number of problems reported in this forum, I had expected to find an updated demo version today.

When I started the download, the same filename was shown?

When will the next official demo be made available?
    Hopefully, that would coincide with a release of an update to TI that is stable and solves the problems that have been reported here.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the demo version file name is always the same regardless of the build number. If you want to get the latest build (2302) of the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 then just download it from our web site.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

This thread makes it sound as if a newer version of the TI9 trial version will reset the trial time. This was not so in my case. After completing my 15 day trial with 2289 (too short a period, esp after spending most of it figuring out how to create a boot disk - finally found the "leave drive door open" solution on this forum), I uninstalled 2289 (on Win98SE), installed 2302, yet was still blocked from using it. I thought this might work based on another thread I saw suggesting that it would work. I knew that the start time associated with the first install wouldn't be uninstalled from my system but was hoping that the newer version would reset it.

No matter, I will continue to lurk on this forum to keep up with the TI9 feedback and eventually retry on either a different system or another OS build on the aforementioned PC. This looks like a program that will meet my needs and is easy to use.

Doug

4. fiftylakesfox1

fiftylakesfox1 Registered Member

I am brand-new to forums and backups..I have downloaded the trial version 9...I have read about everything I could find in the FAQ's and here.

I was given an external HD that I was told could hold the complete backup of my XP-P & SP2 along with everything else on my hard drive; That is what I would like to do.

I am afraid that I know just enough at this point to get myself in trouble trying to do the above. I would really appreciate a simpler step-by-step because most of what I read is above this newbie's paygrade.

Thank you.:doubt:

5. Acronis Support

Hello Doug,

I'm afraid that the newer build of the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 does not reset the trial time.

However, if you are still interested in evaluating Acronis True Image 9.0, but your trial period has already expired then please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Alexey Popov. Describe your issue and provide the link to this thread. I will certainly try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Acronis Support

Hello fiftylakesfox1,

Please be aware that you can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any specific questions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 then please let me know what exact steps\actions described in Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide you can not understand\perform. I will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

Thank you Alexey. I may take you up on you offer, if needed, but I think I'll wait for an updated version of TI9. In the mean time, I'll pick up more tidbits off this forum; it will give me more focus on what my needs are backup-wise and will provide me with a more efficient trial experience. Besides the taste of the software I have already experienced, this forum (with both Acronis and user participation) is the primary reason why I'm still considering the software.

Doug

8. Acronis Support

Hello Doug,

Please feel free to follow my suggestion as soon as you will decide to try the software once again.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. fiftylakesfox1

Click a "Quick Reply icon in posts above." ? Couldn't even find that! Told you I am a newbie (extreme). I have read everything but do not understand some terms, ie, what is a "local disk?"

All I want to do is copy everything on my internal hard drive (to include my XP) to my external hard drive and then have the capability of downloading it from there back onto my internal hard drive if necessary.

I read and understand the "incremental" and "differential" options; I have read but do not understand the Secure Zone feature... what is a "local disk," my internal or external hard drive or CD or floppy?

Again,here is all I want to do: 1. Back up complete internal onto external (done that, correctly, I think). 2. Update the external (can do that correctly, I think). 3. Be able to reload external back on to internal (have not figured that out yet---read something about safe boot in BIOSo_O before doing).

Thank you for your patience with me. :doubt: :oops:

10. fiftylakesfox1

Disregard the above as I goofed up something trying to figure out how to get my backup from the external to reload on the internal (was going to cancel prior to actuallly doing it) but never got that far...I have given up so I just removed everything.

Thanks to those that tried to help. fiftyfox

11. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Hello fiftyfox,

Here's hoping this isn't too late for you as I see that you've apparently given up trying to make/restore images.

Just in case... A local disk is one which is physically connected to your computer i.e. is not somewhere else on a network.

The Secure Zone is a hidden partition which is only accessible via True Image and is therefore protected from virus attack, accidental deletion or whatever. It also has image management capabilities whereby True Image will automatically over-write old images if there is insufficent room for a new image. The rules for this image management are -

New full backups and incrementals will be stored in the SZ until you get to a point where there is not enough room for a new backup of whatever type you have selected. If there is more than one backup or 'set' (full + all of its incrementals), it will delete the oldest backup or set to make room for the new one.

If there is only one backup or set, and you are trying to make a new full backup and there is insufficient room for it in the SZ, it will delete that old one and store the new full backup in its place.

The only time you will receive a "Secure Zone Full" message, is where you are trying to do an incremental backup and all that is in the SZ is the full backup and incrementals to which the new incremental 'belongs'. In that case, you would need to increase the size of the SZ to make room, OR, do a new full backup instead.

You don't have to use the SZ at all as you can simply give each full image a different name and store them on your external drive and do the image management yourself, but many 'newbies' find that the SZ approach works well for them.

Take care if you have the SZ on the external drive, that you have it plugged in and turned on before you do anything to do with imaging and/or restoration.

You seem to have managed the backup and the updates (incrementals?) OK. Restoration is just as easy. Really! All you need to do if you can still boot normally, is to go into True Image Recovery and select the appropriate image from the SZ and then tell TI that you want it restored to the internal disk. Read the User Guide about using the Startup Recovery Manager to see if it is appropriate for you, but you are probably better off not activating it at all as it can affect your MBR with consequences somewhat beyond the scope of an inexperienced user.

If you can't boot normally, then do so from the Boot CD which you should have made during installation and then follow the usual procedure.

Hope this helps.:cool:

12. fiftylakesfox1

Thanks for the info and encouragement, Ozmaniac. I still have a few days left on my trial but will have to re-install the program (will try tonight or tomorrow (Tue) afternoon.

If I understand you correctly, there is no need to use the Secure Zone anywhere if I backup everything (XP included) onto my external hard drive.

In your next to last para that to do a restore I need to go to True Image Recovery and get the image to restore from SZ and then tell TI where I want it sent. If I don't have the Secure Zone, is there another way to do the restore? Do I need to use the Startup Recovery Manager to transfer from the internal back to the internal?

I am still a bit confused but will re-download the User's Guide prior to trying the program again...between it and your help, sooner or later I'll get on track.

Again, my thanks, fiftyfox

PS: Good friend of mine is from Hobart, Tasmania...resides now in Waterloo, IA

13. Ozmaniac

Hi fiftyfox,

Glad to see you're still on board.

No, it is no more difficult to restore when you are not using the Secure Zone. If the external is plugged in and turned on, you should be able to see the .tib files on it and you simply select the appropriate one during the recovery process.

If you have a full+incremental set, you only need to select the last incremental for the whole set to be restored. If something has gone awry with your system between incrementals, you select the incremental before the glitch and it will restore backwards from that point.

My sister lives near Hobart in Tasmania and my daughter has just returned from doing some research on oyster farming down there - lovely place.:cool:

14. fiftylakesfox1

Oz: Sent a reply (I thought) to yours above saying thanks and that I was going to buy the program and sort out the details from there...screwed that up also, it appears. Also sent (I hope) a private message of thanks for Australia's support during Vietnam.

15. fiftylakesfox1

OZ: Got your msg....just finished download of Acronis, charged to my Visa, however, when I was prompted for a serial number, I was in the dark because I was never given one after my purchase. Was I phised (sp?) I think its called?

Going to try Acronis again.

16. fiftylakesfox1

Everything A-OK...called their [952] customer svc...impressed with gal named Rachel that solved the registration problem for full version. Will test my abilities :eek: tomorrow.

fitfyfox 2240 CST, Mon, USA

17. fiftylakesfox1

Oz: Crashed and burned (I think). Sent complete disk backup to my external...shows its there as "Back up" but cannot open the file to see a listing of what is there. Sent a request for info to TI support.

Their support route, in my opinion, is tough to navigate. Apparently the only humans you are allowed to talk to are the ones that take your money.

Regards, Fiftyfox

18. Ozmaniac

Hi fiftyfox,

Did you "plug" the image via True Image itself or did you try to open the file via Windows or some other way? Plugging from TI and then exploring is how you look at what is in the .tib file.:cool:

19. Acronis Support

Hello fiftylakesfox1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please provide me with the more detailed information on the problem?

- How exactly are you trying to "open" the backup?

Please note that there are two approaches available:

1. Launch Plug Image Wizard by clicking on the Plug Image operation icon in the main program window;

2. Right-click on the image file in Windows Explorer and select Plug;

You can find more information on how to mount the image archive as a virtual drive (explore\plug) in chapter 6 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

20. fiftylakesfox1

Oz and Alexey: I was trying to "open" the back-ups in my external by traditional methods (which don't work, obviously.)

Tried the ways you guys sent and problem was easily fixed: "Plug" being the operative word! :oops:

Thanks to the both of you, fiftyfox :) 0753 CDT, Wed

21. Ozmaniac

Keep plugging away fiftyfox! I think you have the hang of it now.:cool:

22. fiftylakesfox1

Thanks again for the help...I guess about all I need to know is in that 72 page User's Guide. Finding info will be half the battle; comprehending will be the other half.

It will get easier as I learn meanings of the unfamiliar terms...

Best from Destin, FL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.