DELL Hidden Partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by broderp, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broderp

broderp Registered Member

Can DD10 accurately copy a hidden partition on a DELL PC?

DELL has two hidden partitions on some machines, one is for the DELL MEDIA CENTER and the other is for DELLS RESTORE feature with allows you to restore the HD to the original state it was in when it was turned on. (great feature if you screw up the drive like I have been known to do!:doubt: )

DELL used a odd boot sequence or parameters that I am not familiar with (other than knowing to press F11 loads the restore partition, which is a Norton/Symantic product modified for DELL) and that pressing the DELL MEDIA DIRECT button on my E1705 boot the other hidden partion with the "DELL Media Center" app only. The Media Center App is also avialable while in Windows XP, but I do not know if it loads the hidden partition and unloads it when you exit or if the XP drive has the same software on it.

I want to upgrade my HD, but do not know if I can "manage" this partion and copy it over to the new drive using DD10 and TI10. (Change the partition "type" so I can copy it with TI10, then mirror it to my new drive and then change it back after the copy, all the while using DD10 to control partition size.

Also, does this work with my system and in dual boot with VISTA? (one XP partition and one VISTA)

I know its a tall question, hopefully someone may know the answer. I suppose I'd like to copy the drive first to get me more room. I could always store the OEM drive in it's default state should I need it again.

ANy help?*puppy* Can anyone follow what I said and need?:blink:

Sorry such a long post.....

Thanks in advance.

2. broderp

broderp Registered Member

I found this info on DELL Partitions, it's over my head technically and I can't keep the acronyms straight there are so many.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

Hopefully someone here can understand it.

Thank you

3. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

broderp:

You might want to read this thread on the TrueImage forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.