deleting truecrypt container

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by beethoven, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Just wanted to verify that if I delete a truecrypt container that is not mounted, will that free up the space allocated?

I have a usb flashdriveof 8gb and created a container of 5gb. I lost the password of the container (but as it was all just backup, it does not matter). Normally I would have mounted the container, deleted stuff not needed and then dismounted again. Since I cannot mount the container, I am hoping to delete the file itself containing the container and thus making the space available again. Will this work?

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Yes, when you delete an unmounted 5GB container file you are merely deleting a large file and you should get the entire 5GB back immediately. Unmounted container files can be copied, moved, deleted, whatever you want. They are just large files.

3. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Thanks for confirming this :)

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If you create a partition volume - then you'll have to format / remove that partition to free the space.
    Mrk

5. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Agreed. However, the OP stated that he is using a container file, which is much simpler to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.