Deleting Increment Backup Files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by horser, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horser

horser Registered Member

Hi,

I have a Question about Aronis True Image Server 8.0:

The scheduler starts every Day an incremental backupup and after a month I have 30 File.

I delete the first file and the scheduler makes a new increment - what happens ? - is it possible to reconstruct the image

I delete some files in the middle and the scheduler makes a new increment - what happens in this case?

Do I need every file to reconstruct an image?

Chris

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello horser,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software for Server.

Incremental backup contains all data modified since the last preceding backup (full or incremental). To restore from an incremental backup, one needs to have the full backup and all preceding incremental backups, if any.

When the incremental backup option is selected, the software creates a backup image that only includes the sectors that have changed from the last incremental backup or the full backup, if you create an incremental backup for the first time. Acronis software requires access to the original full backup image and all subsequent incremental backups during incremental backup creation.

You can delete the last incremental backups only.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

If you only do incremental backups then you need all of the incremental files. You should periodically do a full backup then the previous incrementals plus the full backup they relate to can be deleted. If you create a Secure Zone then you do not ever have to manually delete anything as space in the Secure Zone is managed by TI. When the Secure Zone gets full then it automatically reuses the space occupied by the oldest full backup and its related incrementals. The Secure Zone should be large enough to hold at least two (preferably three) backup cycles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.