Deleting Backup Files

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by BigGs, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigGs

BigGs Registered Member

Running Windows 7 and Disk Manager 12.

How can I stop my backup drive overflowing?

I have a regular image backup scheduled with Paragon and only want to retain the 4 most recent back ups.

Is it possible to schedule the deletion of old backups?

If not, is it safe simply to delete backup files in explorer?

I have tried deleting items in the archive list but whilst they disappear from the list all the back files remain on the disk drive.

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

If you look closer at files on your destination drive you'll notice that although they are still there, they are much smaller in size. I've mentioned this long time ago. I've learned to just delete from the archive list and than manually delete the file from your drive.

3. BigGs

BigGs Registered Member

Thanks, I have sorted it out. The files were not reduced in size after deletion from the archive list. However, I noticed a check box on the popup for confirming my wish to delete the archive. Alongside the check box it said 'Delete archive from disk'. I checked the box, confirmed my intention to delete the archive and it was indeed simultaneously removed from the hard drive.

So problem solved, it is however a pity that there is no option for automatic deletion of old back ups. Or at least I have not found it.

4. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I was refering to using that checkbox. If that deleted the archive completely from your HD then they must have corrected that issue. I was using a free version at that time also and maybe it was an issue with it only.

5. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

Hello BigGs,

sure there is an option to control the number of images or used space.
    In HDM12 - Wizards - Backup Utilities - Cyclic Backup.
    Start the wizard and schedule what you want to backup. It will store as many images as you define or if you select to define the space limit then as soon as this space is filled up the oldest image will be overwritten by new one.

6. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

Paragon_MA, you are right except that the HDM12 - Wizards - Backup Utilities - Cyclic Backup doesn't work with Disk ID Number, only with Disk Index (Index of the source partition - Disk 0 or Disk 1) and my system (Windows 7 AHCI) shuffle my disk index numbers from time to time resulting in Paragon trying to backup my Archive Disk instead of my System Disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.