Deleting a snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by rendez2k, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I've just deleted my 3rd snapshot (compressed) and my free HDD space hasn't changed, even after a reboot. Any ideas? Can FD defrag/recover free space etc?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

clear your restore points and then create a new one and that might get your space back. I have actually had to delete restore points on all of my snapshots to get space back after deleting snapshots when I used ti use FDISR

3. rendez2k

Sorry to be dim, but whats a restore point? You mean delete all my snapshots?

4. bigc73542

no, don't delete all of the snapshots. The system restore in windows is where you turn off system restore and click apply and then turn system restore back on and it has deleted all of the restore points and created a new one.

5. rendez2k

Hmmm, mines off but I do have Rollback Rx?

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Are you talking about Windows Restore points. Why would you run Windows Restore with FDISR. Seems to me that would just be a waste of space.

Pete

7. bigc73542

sometimes it is just more prudent to do a system restore on a partition than replacing it. The two apps work just fine together.

8. rendez2k

I agree there - its quicker to roll back most times than update and restore snapshots.

9. rendez2k

Free space came back after updating my secondary shot - is this normal?

Edit: something odd is going on now. I have 2 snapshots (primary + secondary) and I start with 60gb free before trying to make a new snapshot from the primary. Free space goes down to 35gb during scan. Then I get told "insufficient free disc space for operation - need at least 23.00gb" - I have this! Whats going on?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  10. Peter2150

You are asking questions of us in a configuration few are using. Not with standing what BigC said, I wouldn't run System Restore. Most FDISR users turn it off so we can't tell you what is or isn't normal.

Pete

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I also turned OFF Windows System Restore. It's a waste of space on your harddisk.
    FDISR = Immediate System Restore, which does the same job, only much better and complete.

How are you going to use Windows System Restore, if you can't boot in Windows anymore due to a software that corrupted your system. I had it two times in the past and it wasn't even caused by malware.
    FDISR saved me two times, because FDISR's Splash Screen (F1-key) starts BEFORE Windows starts and that's why FDISR is able to fix such SERIOUS problems, including "frozen" BSOD's or BSOD's with text, you can't read caused by Windows.
    Windows System Restore is a joke compared with FDISR and completely useless if you have FDISR.
    Use your rollback snapshot/archive/freeze storage to restore your system.

According my readings RollbackRx seems to give wrong information about volume sometimes. It has been posted in this forum, but I don't remember where, because I'm not interested in RollbackRx.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  12. Long View

Long View Registered Member

According to post #4 rendez2K isn't using windows restore - turned off.
    I have also experienced unreliable free space and space used figs with FD-ISR and I have never used Rollback. when I first installed FD-ISR I noticed that the numbers did not always add up but wrote it off as a minor reporting bug of no real consequence.

13. Peter2150

I can't really tell, the way I use FDISR. Also since my disks are 95% empty, I'd probably not notice.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

After reading some tutorials on the Radified forums[Ghost] they convinced me to chance my disklayout.Initially i had only C:.i chanced that to a small C:[system] and a big D partition[data],the reasoning behind that as explained by theirs is that with one big C: overtime data would laid out across the entire disk so increasing seek times and and ever slowering respons as a result.With a C part. at the outer edges and the most used data in there confined and restraint by the part. borders, so head movement is also confined to the C:.and as result a longer snappy system and defrag times decreasing also.If you like one partition,then make a small C: and let the remaining space unallocated.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here. With FD-ISR there is ABSOLUTELY no need whatsoever or use for System Restore since FirstDefense restores 100% completely and without problem. Plus you'll definitely save space AND resources, but be that as it may, it's your choice. LoL

Regards EASTER

16. Peter2150

Hi Huupi

I just keep the one big partition. Most of the time everything is near the outer edge, but if it strays PerfectDisk just puts it back. Drives stay snappy.

Pete

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Hi Peter
    I just can't believe that you don't fill your HDDs. In my case, free HDD space is like water in a desert :D
    I suspect that you don't have huge media libraries or big games installed.

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

His data is probably stored elsewhere. Still makes me wonder why he has recovery software on a system that's virtually empty though.

19. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

The principle of safeguarding the Windows and app. is not that related with emptiness.

20. ErikAlbert

AFAIK, Peter works with only one partition with everything on it.
    But his personal data is quite stable regarding volume and not that big and that's why he is able to store his data in an archive of FDISR, while most users anchor the folder "My Documents" or put their data on another partition.

AFAIK, Peter has also a second harddisk, where he stores his graphical files, like photos otherwise the volume of his personal data on [C:] would increase significantly, which will cause a longer archive/restore time of his primary archive.

All this doesn't explain of course why he has such big harddisk(s), but that's not really a problem. Having extra space for the future is always handy. :)

21. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Quite a few people as regard to this strategy use a smal harddisk (40 or 50 gig or smaller) with only Windows and app on it. Every other data is placed on a second disk or ext. disk.I guess disk wear is lesser as compared with disks with multiple partitions but maybe i am wrong !?!

22. Peter2150

ROFL. Since I am the "topic" I'll explain. Both my machines are setup the same.

Because it's cheap, I purchased my machines with large drives. Two 320g drives in Raid 0 are the C: drive. One partition, with system programs and data. Erik is right. This data is not all that large and the changes don't really add. Having a large almost empty disk, that is defragged with PD runs fast. I then have a 2nd internal drive that is 320g. Here I keep FDISR archives, images of the c: drive, copies of my data, and also odds and ends, like small programs I download, that I don't want to lose in case of FDISR restores, or image restores.

I also have an external Lacie USB drive that is 500g. I use this for reduntant copies of all the stuff on the 2nd internal drive. I also keep copies of large program downloads which can be large(in the order of 200MB)

Have similiar setups on both machines, so nothing has just one copy on one disk drive.

Disk are cheap. This works for me.

Pete

Edit. One of the reasons I do it all with one partition, is it allows me to capture all the "data" type things from one machine, and restore it on the other. This way I can switch important business functions from one machine to another in virtually no time.

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm curious to do the math. ;)

Let's see, 320Gb + 320Gb = 640Gb!! Plus throw in the external if you will, weighing in at a robust 500Gb. Now then, 640Gb + 500Gb = 1100Gb!!!

That's quite a sum of real estate there on a single machine to rely on.

Good thing that you do use PerfectDisk. :D

Thank goodness for RAID, sometimes. :D

24. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I too only work with one partition, the c: drive, and everything is on that. The drive is only 40GB, pretty much the standard size of hard drives back in 2002 when I bought this machine.

Without FD-ISR, the total space used would be nearly 4GB with the rest free space. I don't have any extra hard drives, internal or otherwise.

25. ErikAlbert

As far as I remember, Peter's first disk is larger than 320gb, I'm not sure but it could be 640gb.

I think Peter has the most space saving setup you can have with FDISR.
    Everything is stored in his primary snapshot, while his secondary snapshot contains just enough softwares to restore his primary snapshot with its archive, in case it is corrupted.
    I only wondered why Peter has still security softwares in his secondary snapshot. You don't need internet to restore the primary with its archive.
    Windows + FDISR with a disconnected internet in Windows is enough to do this.

I also use two snapshots like Peter, but both are real WORK snapshots and my off-line snapshot is also my refuge snapshot.

Of course I can't keep my pure off-line snapshot anymore, due to activation.
    So I have to create an on/off-line snapshot with minimum security and short internet connections, just long enough to activate or update softwares.
    I'm not really happy with this, because "guaranteed" malware-free isn't possible anymore, but there is no other way.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.