Deleted VM apparently still take up HDD space

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by DesuMaiden, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I deleted several unwanted VMs because they were taking up HDD space, but apparently they are still occupying the C (system) partition's free space. How do I get rid of all of the free space the deleted VMs are occupying? Why are the VMs still taking up precious HDD space if I deleted them from the Virtual Box GUI? Need to make sure deleted VMs don't take up anymore HDD space.

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

If you're talking about VMware, VM's are stored in User\Documents\Virtual Machines. Every VM has it's own folder in there so just delete the whole folders and it will remove the VM itself, snapshots, cache, logs etc.

3. DesuMaiden

I am using virtual box. Where will I find it in virtual box?

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I don't know :p

5. Eric Lee

Eric Lee Registered Member

Open Virtual Box, hit "New". Then build a new VM, click continue two times. Create a new HDD and when it comes to name and size hit the folder icon with that green arrow pointing upwards. Now you should the see the path which you selected as default for your virtual drives.

If this doesn't work download http://jpshortstuff.247fixes.com/SystemLook.html and do a
    Code:
    :filefind
    *.hdd
    *.vdi
    *.vmdk
    *.qed
    *.qcow
    *.vhd
    Bye :)

6. DesuMaiden

Thanks for the info!

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

For VirtualBox on Windows:

C:\Users\mirimir\VirtualBox VMs

On Linux:

/home/mirimir/VirtualBox VMs

But before you start deleting stuff, look in VirtualBox File | Virtual Media Manager and check for what you'll be deleting. If it's still listed, remove it. If it still needs released, see what it's attached to.

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

When you right click on a VM in the GUI list, and select "Remove", you get a window with three options: "Delete All Files", "Remove Only" and "Cancel".

Selecting "Remove Only" unregisters the VM from VirtualBox, but leaves all of the files. Selecting "Delete All Files" deletes that VM's files, but nothing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.