Delete files in .Trash-0 .. safe ? and what for ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

.Trash-0 is a locked hidden folder in Ubuntu /home. There were quite a few MB worth of files which I deleted. I hope this is safe.
    I am not sure what the idea behind this location for trash is, as there is the trash can (recycle bin) plus the /home/user/.local/share/Trash folder which I also empty from time to time. I think files go there if one deletes something with root permissions.
    I don't understand the purpose of the .Trash-0 folder.

Edit:- Maybe the files in .Trash-0 were due to having transferred them from a DVD/CD which had backed up stuff from my old Windows XP
    OS ? Is that possible ?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think wherever you have a mounted drive, in the root directory, you'll have a trash-* directory where files are deleted to, like the trash on your desktop. so it's safe to delete anything you don't want from there.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Must admit I haven't paid attention to that one ...
    Will make some checks and see what happens.
    Mrk

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks iceni60, I think you are correct. Initially I thought that the trash folder was created as a result of removing the temp files of remastersys back-up program. :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.