Delete an Infection!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Pablo87, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

Hello Friends
    I'm a ESS 5 user
    And i like it
    But just a quick question
    Now the scanner is set on desinfect/delete
    Is there an option that ESS only delete and not desinfect the virus?!

TY! Grtz!

2. ptjevleesch

ptjevleesch Registered Member

not yet, but why would you keep infecting files anyway ? I don't see the point

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Most malicious software these days is in the form of bots, trojan downloaders, worms and other types of threats which exist as standalone (e.g., self-contained) files. These get deleted, because there is no "good" part of a file to clean—it's all bad.

Cleaning applies to "classic" parasitic file-infecting viruses, which embed malicious code into files, as well as some types of viruses and rootkits (bootkits) that infect the master boot record or boot sector of disk drives. In the case of the latter, a straight deletion operation without any type of cleaning/recovery operation would leave you with an unreadable or empty-looking hard disk drive. Boot area-based malware only accounts for only a percentage of the threats out there, though, and today, most of them are initially delivered through files.

There may be a few exceptions here and there, but for the most part, any type of file-borne malicious software is going to be deleted unless it parasitizes (e.g., actually infects) a host file.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.