Defragmenting An ATI 10 Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Demonolic, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demonolic

Demonolic Registered Member

I always run a JKDefrag before doing a full image to another internal drive and an external drive. My question is, when I check the image with my defrag utility, it is SEVERELY fragmented. Shoud I defrag the image or will that ruin the image? And how can it be that way anyway? I would think that an image of a defragmented drive, would also be defragmented. Thanks for any advise on the subject, Demented

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Don't worry about it.

The image is fine. The problem is that you are writing the image to the external drive, and that is where it is getting fragmented. The image of the internal drive is not fragmented ( when you restore it, it will not be fragmented). The image file on the external disk is fragmented because the external disk has not been defragmented adequately.

With large files such as TI backups, it's almost impossible not to have them fragmented on external disks if you keep several backups. Defragmenting takes hours which is a waste of time and might corrupt the image.

If you want to minimize the fragmentation (which isn't a problem), delete everything from the external drive at some point and then defragment it. That will be quick, and the first few backups will not be fragmented. However, after you delete one backup, the following backups will be fragmented again.

Again, the short answer is Don't worry about it. :)

3. Demonolic

Thanks a lot jmk94903. Your explanation is exactly what I was looking for. I'm just gonna leave it like it is, because if it ain't broke, don't fix it.:D
    Thanks again.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Glad it was what you were looking for.

Of course, a true nerd would find a way to break it just for the pleasure of finding out how to fix it. :)

5. Demonolic

Your point is well taken. Do you think you would happen to be available for advise, should I delve into the great unknown, of computer repair? I'm very good at repairing appliances, but when it comes to computers, my knowledge, or lack thereof, has a lot to be desired.o_O :blink: :gack:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.