Defragmentation problem

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by yobs, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yobs

yobs Registered Member

Hi!
    I have HDM2010 Server edition. I wanted to defragment my harddisks with Total Defrag. Restart was needed for completing defragmentation and i rebooted the PC. Since that moment elapsed 8 hours, but defragmentation still not done! This is normal? There are no indicator of remaining time. But i need to use this PC soon. Is here some way to stop defragmentation? Can i lose my files if i interrupt defragmentation via completely shuting down the pc?
    What can i do?
    My OS is Windows Server 2000, with 2 SCSI Hard disks 150Gb wich working in raid.
    Please help!
    screenshot attached
    18052010a.jpg

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Please do not interrupt defrag.

It could take long time, but interrupting could lead to data loss.

3. yobs

yobs Registered Member

Already interrupted. I had no time to waiting. With data all was ok. After reboot windows started the checkdisk, found some lost clusters but no errors.
    Now server working like before. After about 10 hours of defragmentation i didn't notice any improvements and disk fragmentation is same like before defragmentation.
    Anyway, thanks for help :)

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

If the interruption was accepted by the software (and not a brutal cold restart) you should be OK. There are now some excellent free defrag tools that can be stopped at any time, and where you can exclude big files so that defragmentation doesn't take ages.

5. yobs

yobs Registered Member

defragmentation was interrupted by cold shutdown (server has not reset button), but all was ok.

6. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hmm, you are lucky then ! I would still run a "chkdsk /f" on the defragmented disk (maybe you already did so).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.