Defragging and RVS

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Uli9000, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uli9000

Uli9000 Registered Member

I understand it's dangerous to defrag while system safe is turned on, but can I defrag safely while system safe is off but the virtual disk is mounted?

Thanks for your work in running this forum. I really like using RVS and feel more confident to use it that to this forum.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Uli9000 and welcome to the forums :)

Yes, but you should exclude the Virtual Disk in your defrag program. Most will see it as a big, empty file with allot of unused space and think it is fragmented when it is not.

Mike

3. Uli9000

Uli9000 Registered Member

Thanks for your reply coldmoon.

I tried defragging again with the virtual disk dismounted and removed from drives for defragging but I keep getting the same results - no defragmenting. The defrag programs seem unable to carry out their function. One just didn't do anything to the hard drive and the other said all the fragmented files were immovable. In the end I shutdown all RVS activity, removed it from start up, rebooted and then tried defragging. This worked so it is at least possible to defrag. Do you have any idea what is happening and if there is an easier way to do this?

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

There was an issue with defragging not being allowed when RVS 2010 protection was off in RC0. We have corrected this in the final release.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.