Defragging and Rollback Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bgoodman4, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I still dont understand this defragging issue and it seems to me that
    using RollBack for your default defragger just does not do the trick!
    But hence after all the advise thats what I have been doing.
    Seems such a waste after the one I purchased two years ago is now uesless
    and will cause damage if used.

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Yes, it is subjective,,,but then the utility of defragging any system is subjective. This is quite different from saying with confidence that systems with Rx installed DO NOT NEED TO BE DEFAGGED WITH ANY SOFTWARE OTHER THAN THE SNAPSHOT DEFRAG UTILITY. If you go back through various Rx discussion threads (probably this one included - but perhaps not) you will find this statement made repeatedly (no offence intended to those who made these statement, I just happen to disagree) . Thats why I began this thread, to get the situation clear for those of us using Rx.

As noted above and elsewhere I find conventional defraggging of my drive beneficial, whether anyone else chooses to do conventional defrags or not is entirely up to them but they should be aware that it appears that the same level of drive fragmentation that they would experience without Rx installed will occur with Rx installed.

In short, IMO, Rx and its snapshot defrag utility do not have any beneficial or mitigating effect on drive fragmentation, thats the only point I am trying to make.

3. bgoodman4

That is not the issue here, at least it was not an issue I was seeking to address when I began the thread. The size of the snapshots will def be larger than ideal if you run a conventional defrag program while Rx is installed. No one has said otherwise in any post that I can recall seeing.

4. bgoodman4

Thats why I wanted to clear the air about the issue. Now you know that it might be a good idea to periodically uninstall Rx and do some house cleaning on your PC.

I assume you have upgraded your PC and no longer have a 32 bit OS from your statement. If this is not the case then I believe you should be able to use your 2 year old version of Rx on any 32 bit PC. Please note I said I believe this to be the case, someone more knowledgeable in these matters will hopefully confirm this or correct this (or you might try contacting Horizon tech support via live chat).

5. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

bg,

I don't believe there's any arguement about that, but would you not agree that RB's snapshot-defrag utility serves a very important purpose nevertheless?

Cruise

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  6. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Actually I was referring to Diskeeper program I have
    that is basically useless unless I want to un-install Rollback
    just to use it ;)

Horizon needs to work this out...I am not sure but other
    programs that are similar to this, allow defragging!! Correct?

7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

They have other problems they need to work on. I removed Rollback in order to do a defrag and after re-installing it won't let me activate. I have E Mailed support. Waiting to hear back. From what I have read on their forum it happens a lot.

8. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Actually, if you are using RB v9.1 you really don't have to uninstall RB in order to defrag your HDD. While RB v9.1 will normally block any disk-defragger from moving files, it does have a provision for allowing that, as follows:

• From Start > Run, enter and run the command line shieldcmd /defrag
    • Then defrag your OS and File system using your disk-defragger (in your case, Diskeeper).
    • Note: This will result in an 'artificially large' subsequent RB snapshot, so it's important to next run Update Baseline (not Reset Baseline) from within the RB console's Manage Baseline in order reorganize and optimize RB's snapshots.

That is a known (and annoying) problem, but if you are uninstalling RB for the purpose of running a disk-defrag you can avoid that reactivation issue by utilizing the method I described above!

JA

9. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Ok..updated 'baseline'[which removed all older snapshos]
    and took a new 'snapshot'
    Now I want to un-install RollBackRX until I get
    to know this little ditty a few more months!

Am I good to go?
    Just follow the prompts right?
    thanks for all your help
    Gordon

10. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Yes, you shouldn't have any problem (other than possibly the activation issue if/when you decide to reinstall RB). :oops:

Just be sure to instruct RB to uninstall to your current snapshot and you should be ok...

JA

11. bgoodman4

Yes, of course, Rs defrag is very important but it has nothing to do with defragging a drive, its only function is to defrag snapshots.

Once again, my point was, and is, that in spite of what some very knowledgeable folks have said elsewhere, the drive will become just as fragmented with Rx installed as it would if Rx was not installed. This is the entire extent of what I am trying to get across. So if you used to defrag before you began using Rx you probably will want to defrag the drive now as well.

12. bgoodman4

Yes, this is correct. I uninstall Rx every 4 weeks or so and use Diskeeper to defrag the drive. I use DK only because I have a licence for it from before I began to use Rx, otherwise I would use some other, free, defrag utility.

I do not believe this is the case but since I only know Rx I could be wrong. It stands to reason however that if you defrag the drive with any program that does what Rx does installed and running you will get large snapshots, much larger than nec.

13. bgoodman4

Also, its important to uninstal from Start>All Programs>RollBack Rx>Uninstall. Uninstalling from Add Remove Programs can lead to problems (often relating to reinstalling and a failure to reactivate I believe)

14. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Jo Ann, that went off very nicely! I want to thank you for all
    your worldly advise with this program and maybe another day ;)
    Happy New Year To U & Yours
    Gordon

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

May you all have an error free Version2012!
    Happy New Year! :D

16. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

well I only came out with one issue after running everything[so far..fingers crossed]
    through its paces ACDSee Pro 5.0 issue
    **see image

Attached Files:

• adc.jpg
      adc.jpg
      File size:
      22.3 KB
      Views:
  17. bgoodman4

I am not familiar with ACDSee but it should work with Rx installed. Have you tried rebooting? If that does not help you might also try uninstalling ACDSee and reinstalling it.

18. warrior198

warrior198 Registered Member

Well i have kept FD aside and just for the change i wanted to try out Rollback,check the screenshot. (The version i am using)

i have one question:

• What would be the idle time to uninstall Rollbackk , just for performing Defrag job. Any suggestion would be great.
      Is it really realiable as other programs ,realy seriously.

Ashampoo_Snap_2012.01.02_21h17m28s_001.png

19. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by "idle time to uninstall Rollback"? o_O

As far as reliability goes, I have found it to be totally reliable, not to mention very handy/useful.

Cruise
    [MOVE]HAPPY NEW YEAR[/MOVE]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012
  20. warrior198

warrior198 Registered Member

The idle time: just to rephrase would mean the time to perform Defrag: and i it would be 1 week, 1 month or 3 months.

YEAH HAPPY NEW YEAR 2012 TO ALL OF THE WILDER MEMBER

21. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I don't find a need to do a disk defrag more often then every 3 months or so (but ymmv).

Cruise... [MOVE]HAPPY NEW YEAR[/MOVE]

22. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

The uninstall did not go without a glitch!!
    had to re-install....ACDsee Pro and Turbotax!

23. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

The download I get for RBRx is not new, it is the same one I have dated 20110802... Did they give you a link that this new version is available at?

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Sorry puff-m-d I was in the right church but the wrong pew. The new build is in Drive Cloner not RB. :p

25. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

No problem ;) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.