Defensewall V3 Beta Official Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Scoobs72, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

So easy to be negative.
    And what an incredible statement!
    Proclaiming that all pc's bought in the past couple of years is 64 bit.
    I am just so impressed with your knowledge and ego.
    Enjoy your negativity.
    I'll continue to enjoy whatever software I want to use on whatever pc I may buy or build.
    Hugger

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I've seen that thread and although I sympathize somewhat with Ilya and tzuk (SandBoxie dev) they will have to do something to stay in business, because x64 is the way things are going. I'm reminded of a slogan from a mountain biking company in the 90's: "Innovate or Die".

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Again, He COULD code it to work. He refuses to as he thinks this or that is weak. His choice still changes nothing devoting resources into a 32bit without a 64bit counter part is a sinking ship.

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Absolutely wat0114 - I agree with you. But right now there are clear answers from these developers about why there is no 64 bit version of their software. The endless squeals of "what no 64 bit?" are tiresome.

5. Juha L

Juha L Registered Member

Isn´t GeSWall 3 supposed to be 64bit? If they can do it, why can´t DW?

6. Scoobs72

7. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I agree with the fact that 32 bit computers are not the way to the future. 64bit computers are indeed the way to go. What I do not understand is why respectable people like Ilya and tzuk are giving up on a huge segment of the computer security market? Essentially they are rejecting a good part of their prospective income.

In fact, these computer security scientists are planning their own involuntary bankruptcy. The computer security market is evolving no matter what they think; it is either they adapt or they get extinct. A good proportion of computers, if not not even most, are being manufactured as 64 bit computers; the 32bit die-harders have a choice to make, to me it is obvious, adapt to where the market is going.

8. Juha L

Juha L Registered Member

Is there anything which explains why GeSWall would be able to make 64bit version? I´ve had the impression that GeSWall and DW protect kind of similarly.

Edit. I read the thread, and obviously nobody knows yet how secure GeSWall 64bit will be. But at least they have plans to spread to the 64-bit area, which is business-wise a good idea imo.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  9. Scoobs72

It is difficult for them now. They have opened the box and shown why they cannot make a DW or SBIE that has the same level of protection as their 32bit version. And they have made clear that their integrity is more important than anything. Meanwhile other security vendors have introduced 64bit versions of their software, but none are prepared to admit that the level of security is lower than the 32bit versions.
    How will this play out? Well, 64 bit is clearly the future. Perhaps Microsoft will remove the limitations of patchguard given time? Most likely they won't though.
    Showing their hand on the 64 bit subject was a huge commercial mistake, but one of integrity. That is what happens when the developer is the sales director, marketing director and the CEO, all at the same time. In any other company (and this probably applies to many security app companies) the CEO says "yeah, we'll not mention that our 64bit version doesn't protect you as well as the 32bit version. Tell the developer to shut up and get on with his job".

Ask yourself this though - as a consumer, which approach would you rather have? The developer being open and honest, or the CEO just thinking of the $$$?

10. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Because DefenseWall do not rely on Microsoft protection mechanisms.

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

This is not the case for all Security Programs just some of them. In all honesty they don't need to notify us of a little less security, as that its so small its not even measured not to mention the added security that 64bit it self gives you. The programs that are built on Windows will have to find away to Adapt and recreate instead of the same old process they are so used to using. As for the 32bit vs 64bit weakness in software. The pure benefits of 64bit out way the small hit that some programs take.

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Again this is your choice. The simple fact is you make programs that run on Windows OS, If they deiced to change something you will have to learn and adapt or sink in the end its you choice.

13. Scoobs72

I suggest you slug that issue out with Ilya and tzuk as they may have a different perspective. It will be a bit like a housewife fighting Muhammad Ali. :D

14. Juha L

Juha L Registered Member

But what if turns out that GeSWall 3 64bit protects well anyway against most unknown threats.

I personally will go for 64bit next, and I´m following closely what happens in the 64bit security front. Especially if GeSWall 3 can deliver. I don´t care if it relys on MS mechanisms as long as GeSWall protects very well, and it´s verified in tests..

15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

ROFL. I don't need to its simple fact, Don't get me wrong I hate to see good software go down the drain. But crying about the limitations you run into coding on 64bit is going to get you no where but in bankruptcy. :doubt:

16. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I've been looking forward to this. Adding a firewall to an already excellent application makes it a must have for anyone.

EDIT: The firewall module is very easy to use and I'll do a few tests to see how it handles incoming and outgoing communications.

17. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Au contraire, I think it is Ilya who is the housewife in this case and Microsoft is Muhammad Ali. Eventually, Ali will win. Ilya has a choice between moving forward and be left behind, period.

18. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

I'm not trying to be negative. Just telling it the way it is. Sorry but every single computer at Best Buy that I was at today had more than 4GB of RAM. Gee, what bit OS do you think they are running?

I'm not trying to display any ego. Fact of the matter is I personally sunk a company not thinking about the future. People developing 32-bit only applications are going to suffer the same fate.

19. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Your statement about Best Buy is different than your previous statement.
    And since there was nothing positive said by you, yes I still think you're negative.
    And possibly destroying your business has not tamped down your ego.
    I hope Ilya can find a way to go 64 bit. But I have better things to do than run him and Tzuk into the ground. There's no justification for it.

20. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Again, There is a way he just refuses to use it.

21. illicit

illicit Registered Member

His choice, no? :cautious:

22. Less

Less Registered Member

Are u using Defensewall now? Have u bought a license?

23. Less

Less Registered Member

Are u using Defensewall now? Have u bought a license?

24. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I have used it before. I will NOT buy a license to something that has no benefit to me in x64 all my computers now are 64bit.

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Read what I quoted before you post. You would then know why it was posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.