DefenseWall saved my bacon:):)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

we invited some friends to our home and one of our guest wanted to check her email:D and when she opened her windows live messenger,she checked her inbox and then my wife's pc got an attack of 754 messages at same time,the destop was full of pop ups:) then she call my wife screaming:D saying a ''virus'',''virus'',''virus''.and i went to the pc and with a click of a mouse right click defensewall and stop attack end of story;) thanks ilya for making such a good familly software,very easy to use and still strong.she has malwarebytes,prevx edge and Defensewall and the one that saved my bacon was defensewall.''good program'':thumb:

2. Creer

Creer Registered Member

DW rocks! No less no more :thumb: :D

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

DefenseWall is a must security program;) i am thinking of getting more copies:) love it man;)

4. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I'm very glad I could help you. Next time, you may use a hotkey Win-Alt-A sequence, it's even simpler.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks again Ilya:thumb:

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

and that was after like 10 seconds maybe if i waited more the pc would be freeze cause when the pop up windows was close it multiplies very fast:D that was a really fast demostration of defensewall's abilities of blocking malware and keeking people happy:)

7. docfleetwood

docfleetwood Registered Member

I have never used DefenseWall so I have a question about this...

(I have read the website and as I understand it, DefenseWall is a hips program.)

When you 'right clicked' defensewall what did you click next? Did you shut down internet traffic? It seems to me that once the 754 messages and popups got through to your computer desktop that they already broke through your security barrier and that all you did was stop MORE attacks. Is that not correct?

I'm not attacking but trying to understand how DefenseWall protected you here.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is a policy base sandbox program,and when i right click to stop the attack it actually stop the action of the untrusted attack,the attack was in a virtual enviorment(sandbox)trusted(me) it is seperated from untrusted(virus attack)so untrusted it is limit to damage my pc cause of the separation of such;) the attack was useless againts my system,it was actually stoped by defensewall hips:)the virus attack was stoped at the moment i hit close attack.

9. a320ca

a320ca Registered Member

Outstanding! :thumb:

10. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

AND awesome!*puppy*

11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thanks for sharing jmonge.
    That's the reason why DW is on my pc to stay, strong protection. :thumb:
    I may have other programs protecting me, but that's only beacause I believe in a layered approach.
    Just in case. :D

12. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Seems more like an unwanted program, joke meaning the virus not dw :)

13. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

jmonge, did you by any chance isolate the malware and possible to grab a sample?

14. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

ilya work hard to improve DW every day , believe me i watch that close.
    u all welcome to try the last DW 2.53 pre which is the solidity build ever he made.

good work iilya ! keep the good work up ! :cool:

cheers

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well I installed three trials this afternoon and will have three more installed before tomorrow is out! But I'll stick with production for now as it's new to me.*puppy*

16. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Good program.. really wish I could use it, but still no 64-bit version. :(

17. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

How can you use DefenseWall to save a malware sample?

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

sorry i didnt:D

19. Franklin

Really dunno, is it possible to save a malware sample and upload to antimalware vendors to help people (non Wilders and majority) that are only using blacklist security? o_O

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

In the category very user friendly security for dumb asses I have tried and tested the combo below as most powerfull yet very easy to use

- DefenseWall paid,
    - Avira free (write only heuristics high)
    - ThreatFire (with my custom rules for registry startup, outbound and caging chrome)

Second in this category (regarding security, but ranking higher in low CPU, I/O reads) is
    - GesWall Pro with internet protection and chrome caged
    - Avira free (ditto above)
    - Arrovax Shield (oldie to compensate for the entries I have allowed through GW for IE8 )

I have tested a lot, but for normal usage these are about the best combo's for normal usage I can setup with minimal out of pocket cash (new TF does not work nicely with GeSwall anymore).

The first is on the (new) laptop of my wife, the second on the old desktop of my wife, which I am now using, son's Vista 64 gaming is different story.

Cheers Kees.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  21. Franklin

Way overkill Kees, Defensewall should see you right through any situation!

My several office setups for other people of Sandboxie, Returnil and ghost images with a save data here folder on another partition has never been compromised with no need to restore from an image as yet.

And trust me those bosses are into some heavy shite after hours. ;)

22. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The CPU times of DefenseWall have certainly improved but I/O reads are still high for me.

Is the new version of Threatfire lighter in respect of CPU time/usage?

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

DefenseWall now tickels I/O reads in small increments, so it shpuld not be an issue anymore, also CPU load is low. The new laptop has a Solid State Disk :D so I/O is a non-issue. Really (OCZ Vertex) Solid State Disk is the best hardware upgrade after extra memory

ThreatFire has low I/o which does grow during usage, its CPU usage is a little more, but also in small increments, so I would be surpised when someone notices its consumption.

Cheers Kees

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  24. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

It sounds like one of those weird scripts that open dozens of browser tabs/windows via DCOM. I get them occasionally but the last couple times it was stopped by Webroot firewall and Malware Defender. I don't know if it's a known vulnerability but I've seen numerous reports of these popup attacks.

25. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

DefenseWall is great on many aspects:
    - the concept:
    Ilya has pushed to the limits the concept of policy, applied to the notion of threat gate.
    - the user-oriented application:
    Ilya answered pragmaticallly to user concerns, either in terms of interactions, friendliness...
    - the usability
    By defining a tool which can be used out of the box, or without knowing it is even there.

So definitely one of the best if not the best out there at the moment. Basically it does what an antivirus suite does, without the drawbacks and without the limitations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.