DefenseWall 3.17

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by G1111, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

"DefenseWall 3.17 beta is ready for your tests.

-www.softsphere.com/files/DefenseWall_Personal_Firewall_v3_17.exe-

This build solves some issues found in the previous version of DefenseWall."

One minor bug with correct version in tray icon reported. 32-bit only.

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I've got a quick question regarding DefenseWall. I've convinced my Dad to buy a few copies when their Norton runs out, then I will couple it with a free AV. However, what is the licensing on it? I know it's lifetime but don't you lose updates and support after a year? That's what I've been telling them but I want to make sure.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

See here -https://secure.payproglobal.com/orderpage.aspx?products=57775 for cost. It is good for at least one year and will continue to operate after, but you will have to pay for renewal to a new version after one year. Renewal price is at this link -https://secure.payproglobal.com/orderpage.aspx?products=58285. It also currently for 32-bit systems only (will not operate on 64-bit at this time). I find it to be the best security software that I have used and with great support from the developer.

4. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

I was hoping when I saw this thread it would finally support x64. If and when they released x64 version I will buy it immediately. I tried this program briefly on my old XP Pro desktop and I really loved it.

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Still waiting for x64.... Ilya must be missing out on A LOT of money for not having his precious software supporting x64 which today dominates the market for new computers.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very true

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

totally agree. If he does get 64 bit it will be the hottest product on the market. I really hope so.:thumb:

8. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

64-bit version of DefenseWall = money from me to Ilya.

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Count me in too :thumb:

10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I second that. Sandboxie has made a perfectly safe version for x64 and it's as safe as the 32-bit version. Why wouldn't DefenseWall be able to do exactly the same?

x64 version of DW = 3 bought licenses by me immidiately after release.

11. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Does DW nag you with a popup to prolong the licence after a year, on every startup or has this altered?

12. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

After a year, it'll nag you. Whether renewing your license or not it's up to you, though.

Hth

13. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Without "Experimental protection" is doesn't.

14. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Right, but what's the plan? At some point there will be far more 64bit computers than 32bit, more so than now, and it won't really make sense to keep developing a 32bit-only project. So is it a matter of waiting for MS to implement some way to patch the kernel or are you just going to stick to banks running XP Pro?

15. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thanks for the info. :D
    Updated to the latest beta, running smooth so far. :thumb:

16. shadek

shadek Registered Member

With "Experimental protection" it does.

17. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Updated to the latest beta too, everything is ok so far. Looking forward to the 64bit version.

18. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The difference between a 64bit and a 32bit would be dealing with application level v kernel level API calls (I assume) but wouldn't this still be fairly secure? I mean, I don't really know much about DefenseWall and how it's implemented.

19. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

The difference between x64 and x32 is about PatchGuard that do not allow to control certain functions safe way.

20. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

21. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I'm sure if Ilya could figure out a way to run a 64bit version he would. If he feels that it can't be secure as we wants, then let it be. It might be one thing that is preventing it from being complete. I love the monday morning quarter back attitude. If it's so easy, start writing some code and finish it for him. I'm sure he's more than capable to find a solution. I'm also sure that he's working on that solution.

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm curious how you know the x64 support in SBiE is "as safe" as the 32 bit version? A quick search of the SBiE FAQ and forum doesn't bring up any information about it, and according to someone else in this thread it's "experimental". To my mind "experimental" means "unproven".

23. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks LoneWolf. Downloaded and installed final version of 3.17 in case there were additional changes to beta version.

24. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I think that's Ilya's point also. I happen to agree. Experimental is fine for a test or play machine, but I wouldn't use an "experimental" program on my business machines. Not even one from a competent developer like Mr. Tzur.

25. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

But whats "wrong" with experimental?

Hope you feel the warm breeze blowing towards you from a community longing for DW 64 bit.

Best Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.