defense wall free on GAOTD

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by testsoso, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Re: Defenswall giveaway today

Sorry Ilya, as i have no clue what ActiveSkin is. Is it a Windows component, registry entry?
    TIA

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If this is the case,the offer is more than useless then.

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

This screenshot shows what is installed......The program is terrific BTW.:D

Attached Files:

4. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

No, it is a skin engine I use. Please, check out if you have actskn43.ocx file into your "%windows directory%\system32" folder. If it is here- run "regsvr32 actskn43.ocx" command with your "Start"->"Run" menu entry.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I tried, and it reported a success. But the GUI is still the same, even after reboot.
    This is bugging me. I tried DW before, and had no such problems. Did something change in DW or my system?

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

What a nice offer! I have a question though. If I use DW instead of Sandboxie, would DW's HIPS conflict with Online Armor2 (full version) HIPS? Thanks

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@Ilya

Very grateful for your generosity. As you might already be aware i was present when you very first released it and posted discussions over at Gladiator Security Forums awhile ago back. It's was destined to be a very reliable and dependable security program and many credits to you are well deserved for all those efforts.

So again thanks, EASTER

8. Matern

Matern Registered Member

Hi at all,
    What is DW detecting? I run a Test with PC-Security Test 2007 from AvBx (in untrusted Modus), disabelt al my other Security apps, and DW fail the Test complete. Maybe DW is not the safest Place to Test Programms, or is it optimized only for Internet-Programmso_O?

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Matern,

Hope below explains

What is DefenseWall?

DefenseWall is a policy sandbox. Policy sandboxes help you to deal with the fact that most users run as admins (also a lot of security programs require you to run with admin priviledges). In Vista Microsoft introduced UAC to deal with this (for a large part), but on XP users running as admin basically allow everything on their computer to be changed, including the things you do not want to.

So how does DW deal with this?

It marks a number of programs communicating with the outside world as untrusted. This type of external access is called 'threat gates', because they are the poential source of infections (ergo untrusted). This implies that those programs have limited user rights (and can not mess with your PC). On top of that DW has taken some additional measures to deal with those limitations in daily work and has increased the security on some other parts of the Operating System and files influencing the OS (also without sacrifying daily functionality).

Another nice thing is that programs in untrusted mode which call other processes/programs inherit those security limitations, to prevent malware from breaking out of this limited rights containment box (this explains the classification of this type of programs called sandbox, you can play but not harm yourself). The same thing applies to files created by those untrused programs, they also inherit the limited rights.

Your question
    DW does not look for bad guys/malware, but prevents them from changing the vulnerable admin related settings on your PC. All programs and files installed on your PC are only marked untrusted when they are in the list DW recognises as untrusted by default, all others are marked trusted. Please invest some time in reading the help files.

Regards Kees

10. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

So how do you delete the files in the sandbox? I know Sandboxie you can click one button and presto the files are gone!

So using a program like CCleaner can delete the files w/out any special instructions too?

11. Ilya Rabinovich

Strange. Mail me.

12. Ilya Rabinovich

"Sandbox" means "rights restrictions". It is impossible to delete files in the sandbox, it is possible to do this with virtualization container. As DW doesn't have it- there is a "rollback" functionality there. And this process can be done only manually.

13. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

This doesn't appear to work in 2008 Server. It runs but it always shows zero unprotected processes.

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Will do. I'll reboot to XP later and contact you.

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Ilya:

Very interesting remarks.

In other words, no files can be deleted in DW's sandbox,. whereas that can be done in DeepFreeze's protected mode(frozen state). But..

I am able to delete emails(web mails) at ISP level while using IE7 in DW's untrusted box. Because of ??

Thanks.

16. Ilya Rabinovich

I haven't tested DW with this OS version. Is your Server version 32- or 64-bit?

17. Ilya Rabinovich

No, you are wrong. File protection is policy-based. Just try to erase any folder or .exe file, for instance.

18. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Ilya:

Very smart move and a very good news for DW users from GAOTD.

I just noticed Ilya has made a generous offer for DW users who have a lifetime, but no update version. The deeply discount price is very appealing. I will jump onto it later this week. I am referring this offer to DW's forum.

BTW, does that offer have any expiry date ? (I mean when is the deadline user has to act?)/

Thanks.

19. Ilya Rabinovich

Well, I don't know. I believe- yes, I should set up an expiration date. Maybe, three or four monts? What do you think?

20. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

32bit. Latest CTP released in November.

Service and driver are running, but I get no response from DefenseWall.

21. Ilya Rabinovich

OK, thanks, as soon as I get 2008 Server I'll check out what is wrong there.

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

In North Americans' mind, 60 days or 90 days are so-called "mile stone" numbers. And are regarded as a very generous time frame. Just a thought.

23. Ilya Rabinovich

Well, OK, three month (90 days) is set up as an expiration time. As a not "North American", I understand nothing in their minds :)

24. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks.
    For me to extend it for one year updates, I just pay CAN$ 11.00 , an equivalent to 4 Big MAC, what a steal.

For those who support DW, will likely take a wise action within the first 30 days, to enjoy updated protection. Therefore 90 days is an ample time frame to make a decision. By the same token, for those folks who rather to keep their lifetime-valid copy w/o updates, it is an OK too. Ilya, you have won both ways. Take care.

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

HI

For those who either missed the golden opportunity d/l DW's GAOTD version,

or like me; lost the app due to image restore/rollback, you may copy my action:

Email Ilya at support [at] softsphere dot com

He will send you one before you know it.

Folks, What a service he has been providing! IMO, Almost second to none. Ilya I :thumb: you.

PS. Users of this version have just bit less than 90 days to convert to full-paid version at deep discount. Another good gesture from him.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.