Defender Pro AKA Kaspersky AV/Firewall

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RAV, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. I could be wrong but I believe you can take the Defender-Pro key and use it with 'regular' Kaspersky products.

I had the DefenderPro antivirus(Kasperky Lite 4.5) from WalMart and the key worked .

Try using the DefenderPro key with the newest Kaspersky 5.0 and see if that works.

I hope thats not unethical...

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I hope thats not unethical...[/QUOTE] from randyoftheredwoods

Yes it is unethical to use a cheaper key to use a more expensive product, especially when it technically is a different product. It would also be illegal

bigc

3. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Mr2Cents wrote

Following on from this: it seems like a good deal in that you get System Mechanic & KAV & KAH for 69.95, less than what KAV & KAH alone would cost from Kaspersky.

This tempts me if all upgrades are included.

BUT - what is the situation concering KAV & KAH renewals? Are they available at all through this deal, & at what price?

4. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Hi Caratacus. Your question regarding renewals is a good one. The only thing I could find is the antivirus definitions are good for one year. After that, I don't know. See screenshot. BTW, System mechanic is no longer item 33 on amazons page. It's number 50 now. So you'll have to keep scrolling down as it is constantly moving. I agree it is a good price at $49.99, with everything that comes with it.

To qualify for the rebate to puchase it for $19.95. I believe you have to be a former user of norton utilities, or something like that. I didn't read the rebate offer very closely.

Attached Files:

5. Caratacus

Hi Mr2Cents -

I don't qualify for the Amazon cheap price or rebate anyway because I'm in Australia & it's only available in North America.

Even so, purchasing from Iolo at 69.95 might still be attractive given that at Kaspersky shop KAV personal costs $US41.50 & KAH costs $US32.50 = $US74.00, and you get System Mechanic (which I trialled once in the ordinary non-pro version & which seemed OK) etc thrown in as well. But of course it all depends on the subscription renewal which at Kaspersky goes for -30% for a full prog renewal. If you can't get that as part of the deal it seems less attractive.

6. Caratacus

If you are outside the US & thus not eligible for Amazon & other rebates on System Mechanic, this might be worth a go:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4384.html

Major Geeks gets a discount of $20 - ie you pay $49.95 for System Mechanic Pro with KAV & KAH.

7. Mr2cents

I sent system mechanic an email concerning the kav renewal after one year. See screenshot. I received a reply to this question in about 5 hours.The website states to give them 48 hours. I was impressed with the quick response. The email only states that kav renewals are through kaspersky. The question is still unanswered concerning renewal price.

I guess a email to kaspersky would be the way to find out. Now, about the antivirus product. It's "kav 5.0.146" . Updates are every 3 hours, directly from kav. There is a setting to update every hour. I left it on the default setting of 3 hours. The updates work fine. I've already received several.

This product also comes with "kav anti hacker firewall." You are given a choice during installation if you want to install the firewall. I chose not to install it. There is no option to prevent the ads tags from being installed. So, I guess I'm tagged :D

I downloaded directly from system mechanics website. The trial is for 30 days. Warning, the download is a huge 32 mb. Not an issue if you have high speed access. If your on dialup, it may take a while. If I choose to purchase. I will uninstall and purchase from amazon, and save $20

Now I have to make a decision between Nod32 and Kav, but that's another story. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• r2.jpg
      r2.jpg
      File size:
      60.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Caratacus

Good work Mr2Cents. I needed an AV & firewall for teenage son's machine, so I downloaded, installed & soon after purchased the System Mechanic bundle (I can't do the Amazon thing in OZ as I explained). After installation I uninstalled KAV & replaced with the latest version (the one bundled was 6 months old) & the same with KAH. That all went fine & the keys worked. All has been running well since then & System Mechanic has a few vaguely useful features eg registry cleaner etc to keep the younger Caratacus's machine under control: but the main point for me was getting KAV and KAH at a 30% discount. I'll bet Kaspersky applies their usual deal for updates to this one. Time will tell.

9. Mr2cents

Hi Caratacus. Glad to hear that you downloaded it for your sons computer, and are happy with it. Thanks for the link to majorgeeks for people that may be unable to get from amazon. Like you, I only downloaded it for the antivirus. I haven't even opened system mechanic to see what it looks like. Already have enough registry cleaners. :D

Kav is running great here. I had forgotton how lite kav is on system resources. Running it on windows me, 192 mb ram, 700 mhz processor. This is a good deal for anyone that wants to purchase kav and needs the system mechanic utilities to go with it. Purchasing from kavs website, kav 5.0 is $41.50. For $49.00 only $7.50 more, you get system mechanic bundled with it. That is if you need system mechanic. I'm attaching a screenshot so everyone can see the userface.

Attached Files:

• kav.jpg
      kav.jpg
      File size:
      59.1 KB
      Views:
  10. ciumes

ciumes Guest

I have read with interest the messages in this thread. I picked up Defender Pro 5-in-1 last week, and the first thing that caught ny eye was the prominent warning: "If you have any other anti-virus programs installed on your computer, it is essential that you un-install them BEFORE installing Defender Pro Anti-Virus. Failure to do so may result in an un-repairable and un-bootable operating system."

Now, is this just hype to ensure that Defender Pro is your utility of choice, or does Defender Pro insinuate itself into the OS, and then other virus scanners unwittingly mess up the system as they try to remove Defender Pro, or what? There has been no mention of this here in the forum, so it must not be a problem, but the warning is the first thing in the installation guide. How seriously should I take it?

Thanks

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You should take it seriously, it's not recommended to use two AV's together, if you know how to and use two AV's that "like" eachother and run one as real.time & one for on-demand, then it can be be done. However Kaspersky (Defender Pro) is very protective of it's processes and generaly does not work well with other brands of AV's. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.