Defeating 'mandatory' adware tracking cookies

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gud4u, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I'm advised that adware cookies are harmless, that I should simply accept that I can't load some of my favorite sites if I block adware sites such as harvestn.adgardener.com variants and others.

But still, I resent being involuntarily enrolled in somebody's advertising campaign - unless I simply abandon visiting some sites. We're talking about popular sites such as DrudgeReport and Anandtech - not 'questionable' sites

What can be done to allow loading of such sites without accepting adware tracking cookies?

I'm running SuperAdBlocker, which does a decent ad-blocking job and includes SuperAntiSpyware. Also running OnlineArmor2 firewall/HIPS, NOD32 and SywareBlaster immunization. Hosts files block the adware sites, but also prohibit loading the sites that use their services.

Any work-arounds for this problem?

Thanks for your help!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Configure your browser to block all cookies and then only allow cookies for the sites you want (like forums to save your login).

3. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

That's the problem:
    - If I want to load DrudgeReport, I must accept harvestn.adgardener.com variants.
    - If I want to load Anandtech, I must accept dynamicn.anandtech. com variants.

I'd like to avoid those adware tracking cookies. Accepting them is the problem.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

What part of Anandtech do you want to visit? I block cookies and it works fine.

And the url for DrudgeReport is http://www.drudgereport.com, correct? What part of the site needs cookies?

5. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Using IE which I let accept all cookies, I see that cookie is cached as the page loads.

Using Opera, where I block all cookies accept those in my Server Manager, the page still loads fine.

Can you post a screen shot of the message you get regarding accepting that cookie?

----
    rich

6. Empath

Empath Registered Member

There are some cookie management software packages that permit you to accept the cookies while you're at the site, and then deletes them after you leave or shut down your browser.

Cookie Monster is one of the older established ones. It permits you to designate cookies you prefer to keep. Then as often as you like, you can delete all but the protected cookies.

It doesn't hurt to accept the tracking cookie and later delete it. To track, it has to stay on your machine.

7. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

All better now.

Installed Firefox browser.

Used Online Armor 'My Web Files' to spot all ad server sites.

Set up small custom Hosts file to stop those specific ad server sites.

The only sign of them is a Firefox message notifying me that it couldn't open view.atdmt.com, but it opens DrudgeReport and other desired sites with all ad server sites blocked.

SuperAdBlocker works fine with FireFox.

Thanks for your help!

8. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

9. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Weird experience:
    - SuperAdBlocker blocks ads, leaving blank areas on the page.
    - FireFox posts 'can't open.......' messages for blocked ad sites are posted in those areas.

Browsing is slower due to FireFox attempts to open ad server sites - but the desired sites do open, and all ad server sites are blocked and no adware tracking cookies are collected. Basically, mission accomplished:
    - No ad server sites opened.
    - No adware tracking cookies.
    - None. Zero.
    - All desired sites accessable.

Also reinstalled the large MVPS Hosts File, with additions as new site-variants appear.

Thanks for your help!

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

If you like, you could remove these from the hosts file and set them to "Blocked" in My Websites.

This will mean you don't get any timeout issues like you would using the Hosts file.

Mike

11. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Moving the blocking of harvestn.adgardener.com variants from the hosts file to Online Armor 'MyWebsites' worked very well.

No delay at all when loading DrudgeReport, and of course no adware cookies.

It would help a lot if I had more than a vague notion of what I'm doing - but with a little help from my friends...

Thanks, Mike!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.