deepfreeze VS shadow defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by demoneye, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hello Pete:

You are quite right across the spectrum.

FD-ISR will always remain and is an Xtremely Vital element for me in all my own research work and even with customization endeavors i take hobby in.

My interest in DEEP FREEZE stems from one single agenda i yet to realize.

That is "ONE" program, that alone can superceed and support a system almost entirely on it's own. That's my vision. So "IF" a program like DEEP FREEZE can reliably without end protect against the worse of the worse possible coded attack files via a simple reboot, i envision teaming up say AE as a safeguard suppliment to compliment this concept. I'm looking for a program that can take any of the most ill conceived designs to disrupt, like viruses & other malware and simply dispatch them completely on-reboot. In essence taking a RAW system with maybe only a firewall + AE, and nothing more needed.

That's the underlying premise of this interest of mine in DEEP FREEZE, if it can meet that fantasy criteria. It's widely reported to be quite effective for tha purpose with the exception of an UnFreezer for example or some other executable, but then i would expect AE to fill that potential entry range to represent that only other possible disruption to DF.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One thing I'd be curious to see. When the POC that attacks the disk came up, Shadow Protect failed. In two days, we had a version with a fix. I'd be curious to see if a Deepfreeze user approached Faronic's about it if they'd respond as quickly. I would hope so, but be interesting to find out. I can't, as I am not a user.

3. Peter2150

Easter, understanding that and having tried both apps, I'd say if you are in a commercial environment DeepFreeze might be better, but if in a personal environment, ShadowDefender is more flexible, but offers the same protection.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for laying out those distinctions from an experienced point of view. You continue to contribute and are of great asset in your taking matters/products to task like you do.

5. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

maybe the "same feature" but for certain not the same ability and quality to stand against malware worms and hacking attempts .

cheers:cautious:

6. Peter2150

And of course you have conclusive technical evidence to back that up??

7. demoneye

YES peter

seems u aint read all of the post / or doesnt rememmber them or dont look at manufacturer specifications .

this one goes for you dear peter...DF DOES PROTECT BIOS/CMOS what SD DOESNT also DF can STAND format of the drive he froozen.

i hope you are unserstanding the advantage of bios / cmos protection and revover from format hd... if not i dont gona do this job for you man , search google ot whatever

cheers:thumb:

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Actually, what Faronics state is:
    Which is different from your claims.

Blue

9. Peter2150

Actually DF fails one of the low level disk access tests we've found. It is going to be passed on to Faronics

Pete

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Even the best of intentions (ideas) with softwares are not entirely complete, except FD-ISR archives, Those are etched in Granite and since they can be separated for complete isolation i call that 100% failsafe.

DEEP FREEZE is a program with no archives or images to fall back to, it is then subject to become under attack and compromised.

Thanks Pete for yet another vulnerability find, if it's a program on or even inside the deepest possible recesses of the system, that;s a security risk sooner or later.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

All boot-to-restore solutions have that in common, that's why I don't use them.
    The only way to fall back is using an Image Backup/Restore and that's too slow and inconvenient.
    I'm not worried about low level attacks, my zero tool and ShadowProtect will fix it, IF that ever happens.
    Also legitimate softwares, like Baseline Shield of HDS, attacked FDISR in the past, I don't see much difference and the solution is always the same.
    What about testing hardware viruses ? I don't think any member is going to do that.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Not FD-ISR archives! Look more closely at them objectively. FD Archives are as close to a genuine image from a backup program you can get, furthermore, FD archives have proven even more reliable! Ever turn to an image from your favorite backup program only for the screen to disapprove with some error message as in corrupt image, cannot read from image, etc.?

I can report with complete confidence and to my own personal relief that i have never experienced such a single issue from FD-ISR even after wiping a drive with ALL snapshots, formatting then reinstalling FD-ISR anew, and then returning snapshots from FD's archives into 100% completely working system again.

I like to see some imaging programs equal that level of percentages. Even my Paragon has, although very rarely, suffered from some sort of malfunction that made restoring one of it's images impossible. With FD-ISR archives, they been proven of enormous value & asset that even one of the best imaging programs couldn't match.

That's why i say FD-ISR's archives are to me GOLD! or better yet, hard as Diamond.

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I wasn't talking about FDISR, I was talking about Baseline Shield, DeepFreeze, Powershadow, Returnil, ShadowDefender, ShadowUser and the next boot-to-restore software.
    All what these softwares offer is just an additional option in FDISR, while all the rest is missing.

14. demoneye

HI ALL

welp ...lets think again all of you who claim thats FDISR is better than SD or DF...lets look at the facts in logic.

1) if any malware pass in to the computer and demage your partition (c:\)probably it will demage all other disks partition even this with the backup img :)

2) the only good in making backup img is after you install all the software u want and ready to work u make IMG of your boot up partition (contain the os ofcourse) and BURN it on dvd(s) and use it when u get problames.

3) using SD or DF will always keep your system running fast as it the first time u insatll it for life (fdisr doesnt)

conclusion

DF or SD are the only daily progy who make your pc safe and running smoothly .

FDISR is heavy canon which can supply the "from scarcth" if all fails

cherrs:thumb:

15. demoneye

well done peter :thumb: i wounder if u test shadowuser pro 2.5 against such attack as low level format.

this was also my point the resistance of such progs (sd df PS) to direct disk access . this eventually what to be taken into account

cheers :D :thumb:

16. BlueZannetti

You're logic, though interesting, is flawed.
    I's beyond the scope of this thread, but the version that Erik uses allows offline archive. The commercially available FD-ISR Rescue does not have this facility as an integrated feature.
    IMHO, an offline HDD is more appropriate
    It depends, and it's here that your exercise in logic appears wanting. It's more simply positing a declaration than an exercise in deductive logic.

Blue

17. BlueZannetti

Already done, see here. It failed.

Blue

18. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Deep Freeze protects the CMOS from within Windows by revoking certain rights in the admin account, so this protection is available to everyone.

19. demoneye

Yeaha mann DF ownz ! :cool:

20. demoneye

"You're logic, though interesting, is flawed"

not my logic is "flawed" BlueZannetti maybe your understanding? hehe

cheerss:D

21. BlueZannetti

I understand what you wrote. You do not have any appreciation of deductive logic or the use of evidence to support a position. It is as simple as that.

Blue

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I found this very true but now only for those who carry this cannon. The program is not the same as before.

I still am in complete AWE of any developers who exercise the forethought of designing fall back measures, and those archives have literally saved me from not only myself but windows own limitations, not to mention malware.

But that is now all but a mute subject, lets stay focused on the present, and that is the leading topic between SD & DF.

I favor the concept of DP but possess little to no real understanding just how effective Shadow Defender can be when put up against the likes of DF, and is why i kindly take a back seat to the rest of this discussion because theres more users need to read of the advantages and/or limitations of both.

Thanks

23. Peter2150

Easter from my tests it works fine. Not sure I see much difference in the concept. Mainly differences in implementation based on the general market target.

24. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You don't have to install DF in order to protect the CMOS. A bit of tweaking and you're ready to go.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As in..............?

You care to share this protection method? I assume it's a manual mod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.