deepfreeze VS shadow defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by demoneye, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

HI ALL :)
    its my first post in here but i aint new to this world.

i have been tested booth deepfreeze and this shadow defender...both do the same job ...

maybe is deepfreeze is little better by protecting the bios/cmos from malware what SD doesnt....

i am very intersting to see what u guys have to say about booth retail progy (not thoos beta like Sandboxie , Returnil crap)

cheers:thumb:

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Re: deepfreeze VS shadow defnder

DeepFreeze, ShadowDefender, Returnil recover a complete system partition.
    Sandboxie doesn't do that, at least not the system partition, Sandboxie works per application.

The terminated FDISR is years ahead regarding possibilities and variation in usage. None of these other ISR-softwares can level with ex-FDISR.
    So my choice at this moment is very easy : FDISR as long as possible.

I install an ISR-software for its features, functions, possibilities, because I'm a USER. Security softwares are supposed to protect ISR-softwares.
    Immediate System Recovery isn't security. I never saw an ISR-software, that recognizes malware.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Eh, There are current "retail" versions of both Sandboxie and Returnil, and neither of them are crap. Both are used by people here and well respected.

4. demoneye

peter : i meant thoos progy are beta... and i talk on final cost $$ progy , not on thoos un finish...:cautious:

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Sandboxie is one of the best softwares ever created. I would put its importance up there with that software Erik likes.:D

Returnil and Shadow Defender have both good and bad points depending on what your needs are. I would take either of these over Deep Freeze, but that is just me.

The future for Returnil looks very promising, great support here with coldmoon. Returnil has the ability to evolve into, who knows, I think the potential is unlimited.

Shadow Defender is looking promising and if some added features actually pan out, it will make it a "really" interesting product. Support has just started to appear on a consistent basis, so we will see long term.

So, you will have to decide, hope that answers your question. And I really dont know much about Deep Freeze to really comment on it. Good company though.

6. ErikAlbert

Beta ? Sandboxie and Returnil have both a final version.

7. ErikAlbert

I use Sandboxie mainly to lock my data partition, when I start surfing on the internet with Firefox and Sandboxie really locks my data partition, which has been tested by Peter.
    I call softwares "crap", when they don't do their job as advertised.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

One way to compare these two program, as well as some others, is to look at how the vendor positions them. That says a lot concerning their underlying designs.

Deep Freeze is designed to keep a system static with changes treated as an exceptional event handled via a deliberate thaw of the frozen system. Frozen/thawed states are on a drive/partition basis. Deep Freeze requires Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/Vista. Restarts cause an immediate rollback to the frozen state, unless entry into a thawed state has been previously selected. So, primarily static/restart based rollback/infrequent changes. Enterprise level administration is also possible from a centralized console.

Shadow Defender can be run in a mode akin to Deep Freeze in which it always recovers the initial state on a restart and you employ a password protected entry into shadow mode. ShadowDefender can be installed on Windows 2000/XP/Vista systems. As with DF, shadowing is on a drive/partition basis. The main difference in these two applications is that ShadowDefender treats shadowing/freezing as more of a dynamic state. While DF type functionality can be created, other scenarios are possible. In other words, you decide at some point in time to dynamically enter a shadow session without a restart and the system state, as you've defined it at that point, will be frozen until you exit shadow mode via restart. You could also restart into a fresh shadow session starting at the initial point of that shadow session. One other aspect of the dynamic nature of this state is that you can commit changes that have occurred from within the shadowed/frozen session. So, primarily dynamic/restart based rollback with in session commits possible/allows frequent system changes. This application does not have enterprise level administration.

I'd also say that their target markets are very different with DF positioned for the institutional market where centralized administration and preservation of a well defined and very infrequently altered system state is highly desired while Shadow Defender is really the style of program best suited for the home market on standalone workstations.

Blue

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I use DeepFreeze on some machines and the crap free version of Returnil on another. Is there a crap free version of Shadow defender that I could try ?
    can Shadow defender be installed on one machine and then later on another ( unlike Powershadow). From what I've read there is not enough difference between any of these programs to say one is best with different small features being the deciding factor.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

there is a 30 day trial. Yes you can install it on more then one. There are 2 major differences. With SD you can designate specific files or folders to save info to so it is not blown away on reboot. Returnils beta, wich the more advance version will also have a cost, will also do this, but not the current free version. Also if you will check past threads, SD has withstood some really bad nasties that the current and beta version of Returnil could not.

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Thanks - will give SD a go

A laptop user would presumably find the specific file option useful but for a desk based machine ? much better to have 2 separate drives - one for OS/programs and one for data.

A program that has withstood an attack is clearly better but of little importance really. (1) Programs which fail this time will no doubt catch up (2) it is unlikely that one program will stay ahead of the curve (3) The chances of getting hit by any of these nasties is small (4) If hit an image and a little effort and all would be well again.

It's going to be interesting to see how these competitors product differentiate.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

SD has 2 distinctive features. Before going into Shadowmode, you can specify, as I said, files or folders to not be virtualizied. But even in Shadowmode, lets say you decide to create a document or need to make a change. You can do it, then use the "commit now" feature to a file or folder,and your change will be saved.

There are other enhancements planned by the vendor, but I personally feel at this point SD is ahead of the market in this area. Will it stay that way, only time will tell.

13. ErikAlbert

I agree with this one.
    An ISR-software without protection against low level harddisk changes, which will never or hardly happen, is not a valid reason for me to replace it.
    ShadowProtect will save my e-skin in such almost non-existing situations : bye-bye KillDisk and Robodog. :)

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Sandbox/virtualization concepts are not new to this cyberworld, and their apps all roll out with different and perhaps their own reasons. When it is time for me to choose one, the one that perhaps can protect my interests for a long, solid times, we would look into these areas:

How long has this app been around ?
    Has it encountered its ups and downs yet ?
    How is its after-sale support ? after your Mooney has been sucked into them.
    Who is the developer of this app ? and how is his financial resources to sustain business cycle of ups and downs ?

After reviewing these above mentioned, I would choose DeepFreeze, or DeepFreeze Standard.

Take care.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

all vaild points to help a person choose.:) I think most would also apply to Returnil. SD has some ground to make up to ever get to where your criteria would apply. Only the vendor can accomplish that, not anyone here, not even the fanboy.:rolleyes:

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Indeed, the vendors set stage for their selected respective target audience/market.

Really good point and one often overlooked. Knee-jerk decisions often take precendence in the majority of users looking to add the "institutional" levels to their non-institutional systems simply because the mind-set is easily made that it is a better equipped protection over say home units.

SandboxIE, DF, ShadowDefender, etc. and so forth, they each are very uniquely fashioned to address particular fields of protection to the windows machine in different ways that make them all attractive.

The program most regarded in the end always will be the one that will serve to as many of the needs that the user desires for safety with the chief determining factor being STABILITY=COMPATIBILITY with the individual or institutional users other commonly used component softwares.

17. demoneye

HI YO:ouch:

welp i read all your great posts in here...but u all miss 1 abilty of deep freeze which is very important ....

DEEP FREEZE protect your BIOS/CMOS not like SD and other beta (yes beta peter acording to there web sites).

when u uses such progy and u leave a cmos/bios hack open like sd...what the point? i think all other progy like this sandboxie kiddo progy and Returnil are the same...unsecure...

cheers:-*

18. ErikAlbert

How can I protect BIOS/CMOS without using DeepFreeze ?

19. demoneye

hi YO

ErikAlbert with any good AV mate.

what i try to point all this poll is to the main point of NOT using any AV like i am not :D

i use deep freeze more tha a 6 months , no HEAVY ANOYING av install...deep freeze also PROTECT the bios/cmos area not like other progy of his kind.;)

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

How stable is Deep Freeze? I often read horror stories in the past when it came to uninstalling it and users resorted to reformatting to remove it completely.
    Of course i'm assuming any user of DF is going to be satisfied and content with leaving it on the PC indefinitely. And what about when upgrade time comes? Or what if a hardware or $M internal issue crops up distorting the normal useage of DF.

My question to follow Eric's, how safe is Deep Freeze's BIOS/CMOS feature and would it create more of a problem then it was designed to cover in event of some unfortunate mishap.

Any records or reports on these things?

21. ErikAlbert

I do the same : frozen snapshot, no scanners, but my bios/cmos isn't protected by FDISR. I ran all good scanners, they didn't detect anything but false positives.
    But bios/cmos is still a problem and I'm not going to ditch FDISR.

22. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Deep Freeze doesn't protect the CMOS/BIOS

23. demoneye

hi all

lucas1985 DF does protect bios/cmos from and axx by malware... i read its manual.

for u EASTER DF is stable more than win xp mate....i install /uninstall it lots of time testing other prgy like him.

DF is for big big company and install in my country all over big universty and some other GOV places....so RESPECT !! :-*

24. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Installing/uninstalling DF standard is as easy as ABC, all can be done within one minute. You need the original installation file to perform this task, no other way, moreover, it is password protected.

When upgrade is available, just uninstall old and install new one, no problems.

DF is very stable, very easy with most security apps I know of.

Those who have complained about horrible encounters are likely the ones try to manipulate DF. DF's configurations are straight forward. I can not image the days w/0 DF. I just do not feel safe going on Internet w/0 DF.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thats all well and understood but my questions remain unanswered, many apps are more stable than XP mate, even Power Shadow :D

I was curious to "known" past or present issues reported, if there are none fine, but always any software can experience problems, some more than others, especially when they are designed for Maximum Deep coverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.