Deep Freeze

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by boredog, May 2, 2017.

1. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Just another old timers moment but I thought Deep Freeze either went under or were bought out. I don't hear much talk about it anymore. It has been around a very long time from what I see now. Way longer then Shadow Defender. http://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze/standard/

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think it still actively marketed. For most individuals Shadow Defender might be the choice, but for Enterprises are probably going to be more comfortable with an established company

3. boredog

Peter I was just looking over their web site and they still have the standard version and even still have their anti exe. I know some years ago their were some pretty heavy fans of Faronics here on Wilders. I never tried it but I see it has been around for 20 years. I am pretty happy with Shadow Defender though.
    Not sure if their programs are pay by the year or lifetime though.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes they have been around, but to me their products just feel well old. Their AE was totally eclipsed by NVT's ERP.

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I believe its lifetime for that major version #, it comes with one year free upgrades for that version # with a fee to upgrade when a new one is released.
    At least that is the way they treat their other software Anti-Executable.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I used DF in the past and it worked very well, as strong as SD in creating a virtual volume but not as versatile, at the time one could not enter shadow mode without a reboot, updates would make it expensive considering the frequent upgrades of Windows. AE was a disaster for me since Vista, it never worked properly, and personally all anti-executables I have tried created problems rather than preventing them.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's been years now but I remember having Deep Freeze on a dedicated machine once with XP that only ever was always in Freeze Mode.

No matter what you fired up in that session after reboot Presto! right back to square one.

AE used to be fairly decent I suppose but at the time Classical HIPS and Behavioral Blockers had all the Limelight.

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I still use Deep Freeze on an XP system.

Deep Freeze is often criticized because you need to reboot to get into the thawed mode, but I've always appreciated that extra step as very secure.

I suppose that can be annoying for those who make changes to the system regularly, but not for those whose system stays fairly static.

I think of Deep Freeze as much a maintenance tool as a security tool, eg, since all temp junk written to disk (includes the Registry) during the session is wiped on reboot. Of course, good maintenance contributes to good security, so the two are complementary.

----
    rich

9. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I haven't used Deep Freeze since 2012.
    Then, Shadow Defender took over. ;)

10. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I used Deep Freeze for years, now Shadow Defender....

11. guest

guest Guest

Not even sure if DF protect the MBR, SD does.

12. guest

guest Guest

13. wenjuner

wenjuner Registered Member

wow many users before ,but now gone~~

14. boredog

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.