Dedicated FirstDefense Forum

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Flack, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Pete

You are welcome!
    I forgot to mention that you can try IFD without fear of adding permanently any files or registry entries to your system. IFD runs from a floppy or a CD-R and it is quite simple to operate.
    Best regards

Rui

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Just for the record, I didn't get any BSODs when I installed RestoreIt. It installed without any problems on my Windows XP Home system.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thank Rui

4. Rui

Rui Registered Member

TonyW

So, what is your opinion about RestoreIt?
    Does it provides an interesting added value, if you already have an imaging application like Image For Dos?
    I myself can only think of three advantages RestoreIt may have over an imaging application working under DOS :

(1) Faster operation, providing you are keeping RestoreIt created files in your main HD (although in a separate partition);
    (2) Ability to restore individual files, and
    (3) Possibility of creating incremental backups, thus reducing the time spent in restoring operations.

How many time does it take to create/restore an incremental backup in RestoreIT?

Do you find RestoreIt reliable?

Your comments and answers to these questions would be very appreciated.

Best regards

Rui

5. Peter2150

I have IFD running, but it looks like it will be as slow as Ghost 2003. I may try the Windows version, and see if that builds an image faster. Reason I am doing this is I just don't trust Acronis True Image.

Pete

Update. Aborted the DOS version. 30 minutes in and only 12% done. Going to try the windows version.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  6. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Pete

Sorry about that inconvenience.
    However, I am afraid the imaging process won't be faster when performed by the Windows version. But, in this case, you will be able to use the computter while the image is being done. I guess that this is the advantage of the Windows version. I only hope it will be as reliable as the DOS version.
    Please don't forget to post baxk your results and opinions!
    Best regards

Rui

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yo, fellows, Imaging programs definitely deserve their secure and deserved spot in the backup world, but these INSTANT recovery programs (FD, GB, RI, etc.) are called "instant" for a reason! :D

Acadia

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  8. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Acadia

Well, I guess the applications you are referring to are less INSTANT consuming than imaging ones like IFD or Norton Ghost... :D

Rui

9. Peter2150

Yep, 3-5 minutes for a FDISR copy sure beats the image.

Hi Rui. Image for windows seems to fit the bill, as a Ghost replacement. Think I am going for it.

Thanks, Pete

10. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

10 snapshots is a lot! I keep the Primary in pristine condition, have snapshots for W2K install and hardware and W2K with security apps installed just in case, and then a testing snapshot, for risky business. It's been great, especially in beta testing.

I also copy my entire drive to another backup drive (same size) every few weeks in case I have a hardware issue.

But FD 'rocks'! It's the one app that I can't do without. The disk copy software is the same. Sony can't get me in trouble!

Another thing to note, when I bought Perfect Disk, Raxco sent an offer for 50% off any other product and I picked up FD for $25.00, a real bagain....

Jim

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's a nice program with an easy-to-understand interface, and didn't seem to drag on my system (WinXP Home SP2).
    Creating an incremental backup point was pretty quick within a minute or less, but a restore from an incremental backup point took about 10 minutes.

But, as I have been saying in previous posts, I found the latest and most recent incremental backup point increasing in size therefore slowly using up the hidden partition. Admittedly, I didn't use the custom setup as I used their recommended settings, which created over 3GB for the partition with about 2.8GB being used for the backup points. By the end of the first day of my trial, 30% of that space was already used with 3 incremental backup points, and the most recent one gaining more bytes as computer was being used.
    It probably is, but I just don't get why a current incremental backup point has to increase in size after it's made.

12. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Pete

Only 3-5 minutes for a FDISR copyo_O
    Well, now I understand what Acadia meant...
    It is really a pity I can't use it!!
    How many time took the image creation using Image for Windows?
    I am glad I have helped you find an adequate Ghost replacement.
    Best regards

Rui

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

If updating an existing snapshot from another one, it can take as long as that because all it's doing is dealing with changed files. Making a brand new snapshot will take longer depending on the used space that's being "copied".

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

What I meant was, was the time spent in recovery from a hosed system, either from a virus, a bad software install, or a stupid mistake. FirstDefense only take me about 5 minutes to COMPLETELY recover from these disasters, even the unbootable ones. In all fairness, GoBack was the same way, about 5 minutes.

Acadia

15. Peter2150

Hi Rui

Image for Windows imaged and verified 22Gb in about 30 minutes. Thats about the same as True image. Just from what people say they have had excellent results compared to True image which can be spotty.

Oh yes FDISR is fast for an update. I also keep an FDISR archive on a external drive, so if I restore a month old image, I can be current very quickly.
    First Archive takes about 20 minutes, but refresh only takes about 2 minutes.

Like acadia said, I've trashed my system to the point, I couldn't boot into safe mode, and been backup up totally fixed literally in five minutes.

Thanks for your help and encouragement on IFW.

Pete

16. Reve_Etrange

Reve_Etrange Registered Member

Gotta check that...

-RE

17. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi Pete

Sorry, but I could only answer your post at this time.
    I was not expecting that IFW could image a drive faster than IFD.
    Is it possible to keep working on the computer after the drive is locked for imaging?
    Thanks for your feedback.
    I am glad I could be helpful to you concerning IFW. I am going to try it and see if it is significantly faster than IFD on my system.
    Best regards

Rui

18. Reve_Etrange

Reve_Etrange Registered Member

D*mn that's correct, the inc backups size increase!
    Someone already asked their tech support?

-RE

19. Peter2150

Hi Rui

I wasn't surprised. If I image with Acronis from Windows, it takes about 20minutes, but if I do it from the recovery disk it takes about 1.5 hours. Not surprising as it is the difference in how the main drive is accessed.

What I do is Image from windows and verify from the recovery disk. That way I am sure I can get the image. In theory yes you can keep working on your machine, but I've never done that with any imaging or backup. So much can go wrong with software without help from us, so I try and avoid more problems. Just me.

Haven't gotten TBFView to work yet, but am working on that.

Terabyte support has been excellent. Very quick responses.

Pete

20. Rui

Rui Registered Member

HI Pete

Thanks for posting back!:)
    Well, after seeing your information, I decided to try IFW.
    Even If I know now that time imaging differences have to do with the way the HD is accessed, it is a remarkable difference! So:
    With IFD it takes 70 minutes to image and verify, against the 20 minutes it takes with IFW (8 minutes copy + 12 verify operation). My HD has an amount of 15 GB in information.

I experimented with continuing to work with the computer (browsing) and nothing peculiar happened.

On the other hand, if I try to restore the image from IFW directly to my system drive, I am unable to do it, as I get the message that the system could not be locked. I guess you have to restore through IFD (and that it's no problem, as when you purchase IFW you get also IFD).

I have also contacted Terabyte support and I am very well impressed with their responsivenes, too.

Probably, I am going to buy IFW, too. Just tired of always having to wait more than one hour to get the image done.

Please let me know if I can provide you with any further help. If in need, feel free to PM me.

Best regards

Rui

21. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi TonyW

Sorry, but I was nort able to acknowledge your post sooner.
    Thank you very much for sharing the information and answering my questions.:)

There are two things which I dislike in RestoreIt:

(1) Using one hidden partition to store image/backup files, and
    (2) Incremental backups increasing its size in the hiden partition, a fact confirmed by Reve Etrange.

Also, if restoring from an incremental backup point takes 10 minutes, how much time does a take to restore from a complete backup image?

Probably I am going to contact RestoreIt tech support and inquire about incremental backup points increasing.

Again thank you very much for sharing your experience with RestoreIt!

Best regards

Rui

22. Rui

Rui Registered Member

I have already contacted Farstone tech support.
    I will post the answer after receiving it.
    Regards
    Rui

23. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi Pete

It took 12 minutes to restore (using IFD) an image created with IFW and kept in my secondary HD. Restored perfectly!
    Best regards
    Rui

24. Peter2150

Hi Rui

Thats great. I've never actually restored an image. Hate to chance something going wrong when it isn't broken. Don't know if thats wise or not, but.... Anyway from all I've heard IFW and IFD have proved pretty reliable. Acronis has it's issues as one can see in the forum.

Take care,

Pete

25. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi Pete

I have switched from Acronis to IFD because - at least in my system - True Image was buggy and not adequately reliable. And, in my opinion, an imaging/backup application HAS TO BE 100% RELIABLE!

I have only tried IFW once and today, but concerning IFD what I can say is that it has proved its reliability more than a dozen times! Always worked flawlessly for me. Period.

Take care you, too.

Rui

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.