Decrypt and/or restore damaged (formatted) veracrypt-volume?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Zusan, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Zusan

Zusan Registered Member

I desperately need help:

I have a non-system partition, that I encrypted with veracrypt. This partition is now not mountable anymore although I have the correct password. System management says the partiton is in ntfs-format, which obviously means that it has been formatted. The partition is the second partition on my second ssd (ssd2).

Is there any way to decrypt the whole partition and try to restore what has not been overwritten? Or do I need the header or at least the backup header? Really, ANY help or hint is appreciated.

Explanation, what happened:
    Yesterday I installed windows 10 (coming from windows 7) together with a couple of new components (mainboard, cpu, etc.), but I did for sure not touch the ssd2, where the above mentioned vc-partition resides. Because of that I felt sure that there is no need of a backup of this partition, which contains all my data. Yes, Iam the biggest idiot on earth, I know. I have no clue why I did not spend this few minutes, but fact is, I did not :-(

Anyway, I did not touch ssd2, but I tried to install on ssd1 and, that was most probably my mistake, tried around with the order of the ssds even after windows 10 was installed, after encountering some problems. I also tried to install windows 7 in combination with the asus driver dvd (for usb-support) before installing windows 10, which was not successful. Any one of these steps seem to have formatted partition 2 on ssd2. I now made a byte-by-byte backup using a bootable dvd with acronis true image.

Worst case is that I will have to use my latest backup, which is a couple of weeks old...

PLEASE ANY HELP IS WELCOME

Noone any idea? Please any help or hint is sooo very welcome.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.