decompression could not complete

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by FanJ, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

XP-home SP3 IE6 OutlookExpress Dutch
    EAV 4.2.67.10 English
    (has happened too with EAV 4.2.64.12 English)

Lots and lots of warnings like for example:
    D:\NOD32 EAV 4\Version 4_2_67_10\eav_nt32_enu.msi » MSI » !_Validation - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)

So far it looks to me that the cause is the MS Malicious Removal Tool of Patch Tuesday in November 2010.

I have tried to narrow it down to what is causing this, spending a lot of time to it putting back backup-images again and again; this is now the fourth time I am seeing it (first time after installing 4.2.67.10 and then re-installing the MS Malicious Removal Tool).

It could be caused by other reasons: defrag in Safe Mode by the build-in MS defrag tool, or the fact that I still use IEClean 7 (formerly from Kevin and Nancy).
    But to me it seriously points to that recent last monthly MS Malicious Removal Tool.
    Without that latest MS Removal Tool, I don't get such a warning!

I am wondering whether I am the only one seeing this.......

This all happened when doing an in-depth scan with EAV.

I am going to put once again a backup-image back, and then "disable" once and for all the monthly "MS Malicious Removal Tool", or whatever it maybe it called.

I have absolutely zero time to look further at this: I urgently need to find a new appartment and that is far more important now for me.

2. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

If I remember correctly the MS Malicious Software Tool only runs a single time during the installation process and checks for a known list of Microsoft Exploits. Once it has run, it's done...until next month. I wouldn't see how it could be causing problems once it's done it's scan and completed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.