decompression could not complete

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by FanJ, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

XP-home SP3 IE6 OutlookExpress Dutch
    EAV 4.2.67.10 English
    (has happened too with EAV 4.2.64.12 English)

Lots and lots of warnings like for example:
    D:\NOD32 EAV 4\Version 4_2_67_10\eav_nt32_enu.msi » MSI » !_Validation - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)

So far it looks to me that the cause is the MS Malicious Removal Tool of Patch Tuesday in November 2010.

I have tried to narrow it down to what is causing this, spending a lot of time to it putting back backup-images again and again; this is now the fourth time I am seeing it (first time after installing 4.2.67.10 and then re-installing the MS Malicious Removal Tool).

It could be caused by other reasons: defrag in Safe Mode by the build-in MS defrag tool, or the fact that I still use IEClean 7 (formerly from Kevin and Nancy).
    But to me it seriously points to that recent last monthly MS Malicious Removal Tool.
    Without that latest MS Removal Tool, I don't get such a warning!

I am wondering whether I am the only one seeing this.......

This all happened when doing an in-depth scan with EAV.

I am going to put once again a backup-image back, and then "disable" once and for all the monthly "MS Malicious Removal Tool", or whatever it maybe it called.

I have absolutely zero time to look further at this: I urgently need to find a new appartment and that is far more important now for me.

2. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

If I remember correctly the MS Malicious Software Tool only runs a single time during the installation process and checks for a known list of Microsoft Exploits. Once it has run, it's done...until next month. I wouldn't see how it could be causing problems once it's done it's scan and completed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.