decompression could not complete (on demand scans)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stratoc, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

hi, I am getting a lot of these errors when I scan a folder on demand, I have checked my temp folder and user group does not have write access which i am guessing is causing this?
    The eset help page http://www.eset.com.sg/html/167/630 says to change this on vista?
    I am using 64 bit windows 7 always use admin account with uac on.
    What is safest? to leave as it is, or to change security on temp files to user write?
    thanks.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can try deleting the temp folder and re-creating it from scratch so that permissions are set automatically. If that doesn't help, adjust them manually and give the user group write permissions.

3. stratoc

stratoc Guest

thanks for the reply, am I correct in thinking "scan as admin" from the scan menu would open scan all the temp files?
    and do I just delete the whole folder? will windows make a new one? I have only ever emptied it before.
    Edit: it recreated when i deleted it, I still get the errors when scanning seperate files like my world of warcraft or lotro folders.
    i am guessing this is a permission thing?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It depends on the permissions to the temp folders. By default, administrators should have access to the user temp folder as well so you're basically correct.

Please create a ProcMon log while scanning the folder, upload it somewhere and PM me the link. The log will show what operations are being performed, what is actually failing and why.

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

how do I create a procmon log please?
    forget that I remember :)
    is this it?
    wont upload says connection has been reset, will try tonight. thanks for help

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
  6. stratoc

stratoc Guest

it wont let me upload it, the errors from eset in the log amount to two, the first says buffer overflow the second says read only protected. just remembered I changed everything recomended when i (very) briefly tried another securiity suite with vulnerabilty scanner. im doing a system restore.

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

thanks for your help Marcos. I have enabled right for users on temp file and am no longer getting this. Have I lessened my security by doing this? I had a pop warning me of security, thanks again.

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

ok, so I have done some messing, I changed the temp folder back to default, on the presumption if eset cant get in malware cannot either.
    If I scan as admin in depth scan I don't get the errors.
    I have run a full scan as admin so system is clean and eset will detect anything opening or running for the first time.
    So I am safe.

9. stratoc

stratoc Guest

This has now stopped in version 4.2.71.2. in case anybody is googling :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.