Decentralized VPNs

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by jaypeecee, Dec 16, 2020.

1. jaypeecee

jaypeecee Registered Member

Hi Folks,

There appears to be a flurry of so-called decentralized VPNs (dVPNs) bursting onto the scene of recent. Names such as the following come to mind:

Sentinel
    Orchid
    BitVPN
    Portals
    Tenon
    Mysterium
    Tachyon
    Lethean

...and the list goes on. I get the impression that some/many of these dVPNs are in some way associated with cryptocurrency (of which I know precious little). Is that correct?

Are these dVPNs going to pose a serious business threat to the conventional centralized VPNs? And which should I, as an end-user, be using?

JPC

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I don't see a serious threat to "conventional well run" VPN providers. BTW - the BTC ecosystem is rapidly changing its image. Years ago it was viewed as a criminal's currency, but today that is no longer the preponderance of viewpoint. Large institutional investors are snatching up digital currency in lieu of Gold at amazing rates. You may be noticing GrayScale, Paypal, etc.... all on the bandwagon now. Personally, while I have not even investigated one of the dVPN providers you listed, I will sticking with the tried and true in combination with TOR. Like the wheel, why try and reinvent what is already working well.

3. jaypeecee

jaypeecee Registered Member

Hi @Palancar

Thanks for your reply.

One thing that is perhaps in favour of the dVPN approach is that, for now at least, some of them are free. OK, there's no such thing as a free lunch so I'm possibly overlooking something. I've been trialling Sentinel, which potentially offers blistering fast speeds. It's a doddle to set up and connect. There's also a wide choice of nodes for connection. But, I don't understand the implications of my devices being both host and server. I guess that not many people are using dVPNs yet.

BTW, I value your comments about Bitcoin. Very useful.

JPC

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.