Debian Lenny 64bit

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lodore, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    today i installed debian lenny 64bit using the netiso.
    flash player works.
    dvds work.
    opera installed and works.
    nvidia driver installed and working. first time I broke my x server but since i backed up the xorg.conf first I simply deleted xorg.conf ,started x restored original xorg.conf and corrected it.
    compiz fusion working.
    samba works.
    printer works.
    java works but keeps crashing when trying to load runescape.

the creative x-fi driver doesnt start after following the information on the debian wiki.
    output as follows:
    Starting ctsound: Loading X-Fi Drv - Please Wait...FATAL: Error inserting emupia (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/emupia.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting ctsfman (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ctsfman.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting haxfi (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/haxfi.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting emupia (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/emupia.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting ctsfman (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ctsfman.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting ct20xut (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ct20xut.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting ctexfifx (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ctexfifx.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting cthwiut (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/cthwiut.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting haxfi (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/haxfi.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting ctalsa (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ctalsa.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting ct20xut (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ct20xut.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting ctexfifx (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ctexfifx.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting cthwiut (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/cthwiut.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    alsactl restore
    WARNING: Error inserting emupia (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/emupia.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting ctsfman (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ctsfman.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting ct20xut (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ct20xut.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting ctexfifx (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ctexfifx.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting cthwiut (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/cthwiut.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting haxfi (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/haxfi.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting ctalsa (/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ssound/ctalsa.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

I cannot mount my ntfs partitions in nautilus. i searched for ntfs in synaptec and installed the ones i thought i needed.
    error as follows:
    Cannot mount volume.
    Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume 'Data'.

it was easier to setup than I thought. once the few small problems have been sorted out I will be using it alot.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Lodore, I had the same problem with x64 Lenny when I ran it about a month ago, couldn't seem to mount my NTFS partition. I kinda gave up on it without too much research, but usually I am able to edit /etc/fstab and once I get the right line in there I can get them to auto mount easy enough. But this time I couldn't. Sorry, I'm not any help, just confirming your issue I guess.

Otherwise Lenny is great yes.... they have made it much friendlier out of the box now, most everything works (except the ntfs issue). Another one of my favorites. After a lot of hopping, I pretty much settled on Ubuntu, Lenny and Sabayon as my favorites.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. Arup

Arup Guest

For ntfs in Debian, you need to edit the fstab manually to mount it. You also need to have ntfs-3g loaded and in case you don't wish to edit fstab manually, you have to install ntfs tools. This is why I like distros like Ubuntu where all this is automatically added. They realize the importance of reading ntfs partitions in majority of the Linux installs where its dual boot between Win and Lin.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey arup,
    thanks.
    I acually prefer debian because with desktop and standard system you get a basic desktop system. It didnt have samba installed so I simply opned up synaptec and installed it.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. Arup

Arup Guest

Glad it worked out for you, I too like pure Lin like Debian or Mandriva but I have to make Lin popular so I use Ubuntu and spread the word to non Lin users. In Ubuntu, right clicking share on a folder induces synaptic to install samba.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its really annoying that i cant access my ntfs partitons thou.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It's been a while since i mounted an ntfs partition, but perhaps you can tell us what you tried.

One thought that pops up is, did you create the directory (mkdir /media/windows_data_whatever) where you're trying to mount it on?

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Pedro,
    No i didnt create a directory to mount it to.
    with ubuntu and fedora i simply right click mount in Nautilus and it throw an error but mounted the partition anyway. in debian lenny it throws an error and doesnt mount it. i never needed to create a folder to mount a partition to before so i didnt think i would on debian lenny.
    i may try it later.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Actually, i never got a straight answer on that. Perhaps mnt, since media is for removable devices.
    /mnt/whatever-its-called

11. Arup

Arup Guest

lodore,

You may also consider installing pysdm which makes setting permissions and fstab mounting quite a breeze.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Arup, I don't think pysdm is in the Lenny repos like it is in Ubuntu... I guess it can be gotten from their site though.

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Kerodo,

Good point but the deb can always ben downloaded from Ubuntu repositories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.