Debian 9 Stretch - Not by a long stretch

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Today, our karma takes a 180-degree turn. For we have a negative review of Debian 9 Stretch Cinnamon and Gnome editions, with limited testing restricted to a short live session only, due to severe problems with Wireless network connectivity. There.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/debian-9.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Debian is sort of like CENTOS to the deb. world - super stable.

When it comes to wireless drivers, plug in an Ethernet cable, install a new kernel/and or corresponding wireless driver, then reboot. Network should come up on the next login.

If updated packages are important, there is Siduction which is always based on unstable Sid.

Most users are better off with Ubuntu.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Debian never knows my wifi hardware so I always just download the wifi firmware manually (iwlwifi I think), and copy it into the firmware folder in the net install thumb drive and everything installs and works like a charm... just a minor inconvenience. It's been that way forever for me...

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I'm not sure that Debian has desktop users in mind when building their distro, but I might be wrong...

5. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Hello,

I always use the non-free version of Debian Installer, so that non-free and other proprietary firmwares are automatically detected and installed during the installation process. Debian Stretch KDE 64-bit works very well for me since RC2. Wireless connection is not a problem for my wireless adapter TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 which has Atheros driver.

Cheers!

6. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I agree that esthetics and conviviality are not their main strenghts...

7. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Debian Stretch KDE Plasma works great here. I think you are testing your hardware instead of Debian.

8. Mrkvonic

When other distros work well on the same hardware, then it's Debian, not hardware.
    When Debian 5 failed on other hardware, and then Debian 6 failed on yet another machine, it's Debian.
    Three different laptops, seven years. That's Debian 100% at fault.
    Mrk

9. NormanF

Mrk have you tested the non-free Debian installer? It contains drivers and proprietary firmware for Debian not available on the default free version.

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

10. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Debian clearly states it's a Free distro, so it will not contain firmware for a ton of hardware. It also says so during the installation, right when it tries to connect to the internet.

And as with most distros, they barely touch the UI of their DE's.

11. NormanF

True and as I mentioned to Mrk, they do have a non-free installer that contains proprietary firmware and drivers missing from the default free version. In regards to the UI, pimpaging would address the 90s era wallpaper and such associated with Debian.

12. Mrkvonic

Norman, the problem is that the network works - badly. It would be better if it didn't at all. Like CentOS.
    Mrk

13. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I think that is pretty much it. I have 3 VPS servers running Jesse and a Raspberry Pi running Wheezy. The Linux distros of choice for VPSes are CentOS and Debian. I chose Debian for the VPSes because I was used to the syntax already from using Ubuntu and Mint. I haven't been disappointed. The VPSes have been running web servers, OpenVpn servers and DNS servers for months on end with no issues whatsoever after sorting out some initial configuration issues. The only downtime I've had has been one of my VPS providers fault, not the distros. My Raspberry Pi is a local LAN server that duplicates many of the functions of the VPSes. It has a very primitive XFCE desktop that I really have no need of. I set up XFCE on a VNC connection on one of my VPSes just to test a few things. It is actually better than the one that came with the Pi. Making a working desktop in Debian would involve a lot more than just booting a DVD.

For a plug and play desktop, nothing beats Mint. I have portable installs on USB drives and they never fail to recognize the hardware on any machine I boot them on. Mint isn't even available as a server option from any of my VPS providers. Ubuntu is but I prefer the simplicity of Debian as a server OS. I want something that is light and reliable. Running OpenVPN and a DNS server on Debian uses just a little over 100mb of ram. That includes the firewall and and a few other security daemons.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.