Debian 9 Strech Stable Released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by NormanF, Jun 17, 2017.

1. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Linux Kernel v4.9 LTS version.
    I've been using Ubuntu for years; maybe it's time to test Debian for its stability.

3. NormanF

Debian Stable.... is stable - lasts for 2 years. If you can live with outdated packages, its great.

A new version is always released in odd numbered years. Think of it as the Debian version of Ubuntu LTS.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Debian is great.. it's the only thing I use any more... thanks for the heads up.. I've been waiting for 9.

5. NormanF

The Live CD is broken. It looks for a CD ROM drive and complains its missing.

I've had better luck with the netinstall iso. No problems getting installed it in Virtualbox.

6. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Same bug here, and installed from the net iso as well.(I'm using a thumbdrive)
    Installed the XFCE desktop.
    For some reason I can't select another folder for the wallpapers...
    Not sure it was ready for release.

7. NormanF

Good to know the bug is reproducible. I had a bug in KDE with key signatures and even after installing missing dependencies and cleaning the apt file, it still persisted. Killed it with my giving myself ownership rights to it and they went away for good. I had to use brute force to get the Skype key set.

MATE is not the latest version. I installed it from the openSUSE repositories for Stretch. Everything else seems up to date.

8. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Not a bad thing.
    LMDE 2 has switched to MATE 1.18 and it still has bugs.
    A few were fixed but there are others remaining.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Strange, but I did the net install twice, first time with Gnome DE and got no desktop after login, everything else seemed perfect. Then I did it again with Cinnamon, couldn't even get to a login screen. No idea, but had zero issues for the past 2 years with Debian 8. I'll wait and try again after they've had some time to iron out the bugs.

10. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I was thinking about giving this new release a try, but based on the feedback here, it appears I'd rather save my effort. Installed Ubuntu 16.04.2 AMD64 and everything appears working fine.

Can't believe such stupid bug still exists after 26 months of "hard work" by the Debian team. It's truly a shame.

Edit: typo

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  11. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I reinstalled with MATE and it's running fine.

12. NormanF

Be careful before logging to GNOME and Cinnamon. You do NOT want to log into an X11 System session!

Look at cogwheel before you sign in and see that its correctly set.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  13. NormanF

Debian does not have sudo. You log into terminal with su, then your password.

If after updating the system, you have a no public key problem, do three things: give yourself permission over the /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ file, install the dirnmgr package before you restore keys with ubuntu keyserver.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

On Gnome, I did make that mistake the first time, but on the 2nd boot, I chose "Gnome" and got the same result. So no go there... On Cinnamon, I didn't even make it to the login screen at all, just nothing.... I might have a look at one of the live dvd's/cd's and see if that's any better.

15. NormanF

Maybe the difference is that I'm running mine in VirtualBox. No problems logging in.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I have no idea really... Could be something specific to my hardware, but I just loaded my Deb 8.7.1 image and updated it here, and no problems at all, as usual. Time will tell I guess...

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just for fun, I spent an hour or so today doing a manual command line upgrade of my Deb 8.7.1 install, but unfortunately, I got the same end results. This is with Debian Gnome. Oh well... I'll have to give up for now I guess, and just stick with Debian 8.

18. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I accidentally upgraded to 9 from Debian 8.8 Cinnamon and I had the same issues. For now I don't feel like fighting with this. Seems that if we wait a month or two it will go smoothly without the hassles. Snapshot'd back to 8 and all is well.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's nice to hear that it isn't just me... I decided the same thing, I'll just give them a few months or so to clean things up. It's just too hard to try to figure out what the problem is, and chances are, there's nothing I can do about it anyway..

20. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Been testing it for a few days and now I'm fully on Debian 9.
    Downloaded the "Mini.iso" and installed KDE. No problems at all.

To me this is the best Debian in several years. It brings back memories from Debian 6.

21. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Anybody else installed the XFCE desktop?
    If so, are you able to select a different wallpaper folder?
    If I click on other, everything is greyed out, so can't select another one.

22. NormanF

The Debian Live CD issue is fixed. The distribution issued new Live CDs which should now be installable.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, 3 weeks later, I decided to try another netinstall. I got the same results, which appeared to be no desktop/gui after login. However, this time, I thought it may be something to do with my video, so I unplugged my HDMI cable, and amazingly, the desktop suddently appeared on my laptop screen as it is supposed to! Haha... So, apparently something had changed in Debian 9 regarding how it detected or handled HDMI at startup. Once I was able to configure things on the laptop screen, I then was able to get my 24" HDMI monitor going and all is well once again. I should have thought to try that the first time... :)

Anyway, I like the Gnome UI changes and everything seems great. I also see some bugs that have been fixed, and one new bug at boot time, but nothing much. Seems very nice once I got my issues worked out. I'm staying with Debian 9 for now as the video performance on my machine seems much better in Debian as compared to Mint Cinnamon, which would be my 2nd choice.

24. NormanF

Keep in mind Debian packages usually don't get updated except for the browser.

Its more like RHEL/CentOS than like Ubuntu. Super stable. If you need the latest packages, go with Ubuntu.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I installed Debian 9 on July 8th, then made an image with Clonezilla and moved on to other things for a while. I restored the Debian image on the 18th, and then checked for updates in Synaptic, and got nothing.. Is that weird? Seems to me that there should have been at least a few updates in 10 days, especially in a new release. I'm wondering if something is amiss with my 9 install? In my 8.7.1 install, I still get updates all the time...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.