DDS messed up my system

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by drb05, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drb05

drb05 Registered Member

I really hope somebody could help me out.
    Here is my situation.
    I am running XP home, made a new partition with DDS other than my primary C drive. It created everything fine. But my defragmenter failed to defragment-boot-time defragmentation. I did 'chkdsk". there are no bad sectors in C drive. system boots up fine. But it gives this constant error when I do this in command prompt-
    chkdsk /f/r
    It says cannot lock drive and asked me to try while booting. When i click y, during restart nothing happens, i mean chkdsk does not run.
    Chkntfs c: is clean not dirty.
    No bad sectors.
    System runs fine. However I really bothered with this 'cannot lock drive' issue.

I searched almost everything from google, except 'recovery console'.

Could somebody please help me out?

Thanks,

drb

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello drb05,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Management Software.

Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to us? This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Please collect the information requested above and contact us from our web-site: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/support/ . Please don't forget to send the link to this thread along with gathered information. This would allow us to investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

3. drb05

drb05 Registered Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    This might sound silly, but got to ask.

What type of information is collected from my system other than hardware partition? Any personal identifiable information? Will my directory structure, folders list, hardware serial numbers be revealed?

Will I be charged for this support? I am using the trial version. Can i uninstall the report utility after its done?

Until I get the support, can i continue using the system? Is there a way to undo the damage? My 'system restore' never works. I don't know why, but any date chosen will not work.

sorry too many questions.

Thanks,

4. drb05

drb05 Registered Member

eurekha!!!

I guess I troubleshooted the problem.
    I am posting this, so that other surfers might get benefitted as I did not wanted to create a bad impression for DDS.

This is what I did:
    Partition my HD with DDS.
    Diskeeper quit defragmenting C drive (OS drive). can't do boot-time defragmentation.
    Chkntfs c: said volume dirty and chkdsk /f/r said cannot lock drive, chkdsk c: said that there are problems with the drive. But there were no bad sectors.

solution:
    I rebooted OS in safe mode. and did chkdsk /f/r and then checked for 'dirty'. it came back clean.
    Then rebooted in normal mode and chkdsk. volume clean. However the error 'cannot lock drive' comes with chkdsk /f/r

I googled more and eventually found that any antivirus or even diskeeper using C drive before chkdsk accesses it can lead to this trouble.
    http://www.execsoft.co.uk/html/smb/dk_faqs.htm#a_18

hence I decided that something is running behind and causing the error. Which I guess is OK as long as the disk is not dirty.

HOWEVER, i am not sure why partitioning with DDS caused my C drive to get dirty. Acronis admins, probably you may want to check on that.

I am going to try this software on my external drives, looks like a great product to me. Decided to buy it!.

Thanks again,

drb

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello drb05,

Concerning your questions abour Acronis Report Utility:

It contains only information about your hard disk(s) such as: Common properties, MBR entry, the contents of the root folder with the names and size of files (this is needed in case there are some troubles with the system files like ntldr), boot.ini contents. It doesn't unclude the serial numbers of your disks or any contents of your personal files. Acronis Report is not distributed among anyone outside the Support Team and the Development Team (if need). And this information is confidential.

This utility is not installed to your system hence it does not leave any entries in Windows registry or anywhere on the hard disk drive. It just creates the report.txt file with the information. There is no need to uninstall it.

We provide support to anyone who uses our programs (current versions) including trial versions.

Concerning your situation with the "chkdsk" utility:

Thank you for the information provided. Please note that we recommend to disable all programs that have direct access to the hard disk (i.e. Diskeeper) before using Acronis Disk Director Suite.

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.