DDS fails to resize NTFS & Ext2 partitions.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by IanJT, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IanJT

IanJT Registered Member

Hi, has anyone here had experience (and preferably solutions!) with a couple of problems I'm having with DDS. I'm using the latest build (#554), and I've sent the system report and relevant screenshots (in fact everything they've asked for), and carefully explained the symptoms of my problems to the Acronis support people, but they seem totally and utterly clueless! After 5 rounds of emails, they don't seem to be able even to comprehend the problem, let alone provide a workable solution! This is really my last shot before demanding my money back and trying something else (probably one of the freebie Linux rescue CD's such as Ultimate Boot CD).

First, here's my partition layout:

Partition Flags Capacity Free Space No.
    -------- ----- -------- ----------- ---
    FAT16 Pri 31 Mb 30 Mb 1
    Ext2 Pri 8 Mb 2 Mb 2
    NTFS(C:) Pri,Act 15.7 Gb 6.5 Gb 3
    Extended 4
    Unallocated 1.2 Gb
    ReiserFS 2.7 Gb 0.7 Gb 7
    Ext2 17.4 Gb 13.3 Gb 5
    Linux Swap 259 Mb 6

All I want to do is reduce the size of the Linux Ext2 #5 partition to say 6 Gb so it abuts Linux Swap #6, move Linux ReiserFS #7 down to abut #5, then finally expand NTFS #3 to use all the unallocated space.

Easy job for DDS right? Wrong!

First problem is when I select Ext2 #5 & hit "Resize" there's a little pop-up window which just says "Analyzing partition ..." and disk activity for several minutes, then the pop-up disappears and I'm back to the main display! (which was inactive while the pop-up was there but is now active again). No "Resize Partition" pop-up allowing me to resize the partition! However, doing the same thing with all the other partitions, I do get the "Resize Partition" pop-up.

Second problem is I tried to expand NTFS #3 into the unallocated space after it, again using "Resize". This time I get the "Resize Partition" pop-up but it shows zero unallocated space after! (as well as before of course). So it will let me reduce the size, but not increase it!

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks for your attention.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello IanJT,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Management Software.

Please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter to Acronis Support Team. I will investigate the situation.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

3. IanJT

IanJT Registered Member

Hello Semyonov,

Thanks, it was #367180.

-- Ian

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ian,

I have replied to your request via e-mail. Please check it.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.