Database Wiped Out

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jimb11, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimb11

jimb11 Registered Member

I installed xp sp2 over top of xp sp1 but I restored back to sp1 a day later. When I did that a few hours later IE started crashing,my home page was hijacked,and I couldn't get into my control panel. I could not understand what was happening because I had spyware blaster up to date. So I run spyware blaster and found out my database had been wiped out. My web sites listed in my restricted sites zone were all still there and all my blocked cookies also.

So my question is: With me losing my database I lost all my protection? Even thought IE showed I had my restricted web sites and blocked cookies?

Thank you for your help:
    Jim

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  2. jimb11

jimb11 Registered Member

Please Help!

Could someone please reply to my thread intitled: Database Wiped Out

Jim

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I can't help with the database problem just now but one thing I do see from your post is that you 'restored back to SP1' did you remove SP2 via Add/Remove programs and not just depend on System Retsore as this will not have removed everything. Apologies if you mean that you actually uninstalled SP2, I am just worried in case you didn't.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Without knowing what was or wasn't part of your stored SP1 that you restored to....I would be speculating as to why your database was wiped out.

Have you been succesful in re-enabling the features of SpywareBlaster your concerned with ?

5. jimb11

jimb11 Registered Member

Yes, I'm able to re-enable SWB but what worried me was when I restored back to sp1 by way of system restore something wiped out the database. The kill bits were still listed in the registry thought so my question is: Was I still protected or not?

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, you remain protected if the kill-bits are in the registry. The SpywareBlaster database files are not themselves the protection, they merely contain the source data that SpywareBlaster needs to enable or disable the protections in the registry.

If at some point after the protections are set, the database files are deleted from the SpywareBlaster directory, it does not remove protections themselves. Of course, you do need to get new database files if you want SpywareBlaster itself to run properly again, but you said you were able to do that, so I think you are okay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.