Database Error with Definition: 5/23/2005

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Aligato, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aligato

    Aligato Guest

    Hi,

    I clicked on "check for updates" to update Spyware Blaster 3.4 database to
    the latest definition: 5/23/2005.

    The download was successful, however, new protection was not
    able to be activated. A database error occured.

    What seems to be the problem?
     
  2. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,997
    Hi,

    Could you please post some more details about your system?

    Specifically:
    -What version of Windows you are using
    -What anti-virus program(s) you are using, if any
    -What firewall program(s) you are using, if any
    -What other anti-spyware program(s) you are using, if any
    -What other privacy or security program(s) you are using, if any

    Thanks! :)

    Best regards,

    -Javacool
     
  3. MRaffles

    MRaffles Guest

    I have also the same problem.
    I use Windows 2000 Japanese with all recent updates.
    Spywareblaster 3.3 worked well and no error on my system. I am sure, my other programs (antivirus, firewall, etc.) don't cause the problem.
    Waiting for hints or fix.
     
  4. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,997
    While I appreciate that it may be unlikely that any other program is causing the issue, could you please post the information I requested above? It'll help me narrow down any possible similarities between systems that exhibit this issue. :) Thanks!

    EDIT: Also, could anyone experiencing updating issues please send your "sbdatabase2.dtb" file to bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com ? (The file should be located in your SpywareBlaster directory, which is, by default, C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster)

    Also, please ensure that your firewall allows SpywareBlaster net access. And if you have any proxies set up, try disabling them temporarily as well.

    Best regards,

    -Javacool
     
  5. shek

    shek Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2005
    Posts:
    342
    Location:
    SE CHINA/NYC USA
    same problem as Aligato has.
    after today's update, a database error shows up, although the spywareblaster said the update was successful.

    windows xp sp2 with all the updates.
    spywareblaster 3.4
    real-time software: antivir personal classic, mj registry watcher, jetico fw, process guard 3.15 free, opera 8.0

    on-demand software: escan toolkit utility 4.47, spybot SD 1.3, ad-aware SE,

    all the softwares are up-to-date.
     
  6. Aligato

    Aligato Guest

  7. bigc73542

    bigc73542 Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2003
    Posts:
    23,873
    Location:
    SW. Oklahoma
    I updated with no problems at all.
     

    Attached Files:

  8. shek

    shek Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2005
    Posts:
    342
    Location:
    SE CHINA/NYC USA
    Aligato's solution doesn't fix my problem. :mad:

    javacool--

    i have already sent the email to you as request.
     
    Last edited: May 23, 2005
  9. Windowgood

    Windowgood Registered Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    Posts:
    3
    Hi,
    I have the same problem as Aligato's, and thanks for his solution that works for me :D

    Details about my system:
    -WindowsXP Pro
    -Norton Internet security 2005, which includes both anti-virus and firewall programs
    -Real-time program: Ad-Watch (bundled with Ad-Aware SE Pro), WinPatrol
    -On-demand program: Spybot S&D, Yahoo Anti-Spy

    I once had the same problem with the previous version, and it was solved after I manually copied the definition files to the SB's folder. But this time I couldn't find the definition files on Javacool's website.

    ---
    Thanks
    Person Chiu
     
  10. javacool

    javacool BrightFort Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2002
    Posts:
    3,997
    Hi,

    Could you please e-mail me as well? (at bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com)

    In the e-mail please mention:
    -A link to this thread
    -Your username on these forums

    Thanks! :)

    Best regards,

    -Javacool
     
  11. Windowgood

    Windowgood Registered Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    Posts:
    3
    Hi Javacool,
    Since I have replaced the original file with the one Aligato provided, it may no longer contain the data you need. However, I found another similar file "sbdatabase2.dtb.temp" Hope it helps.

    Thanks for your great program that protects regular users like me. Let me know if you need any further information.

    ---
    Regards
    Person Chiu
     
  12. TheBFG

    TheBFG Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2005
    Posts:
    1
    Location:
    Japan
    I had the same problem as the original poster
    I changed the update to use alternative update source.. then no problem
    Using Widows XP sp1 Japanese version
    Zone Alarm Free firewall
     
  13. shek

    shek Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2005
    Posts:
    342
    Location:
    SE CHINA/NYC USA
    TheBFG--

    thank you for your help. it works.
     
  14. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    When I run 3.4 with XP/SP2 after I restart my system, it reports that 209 IE items have protection disabled with 3543 total items in the database. If I enable all protection, the 209 goes to 0 and remains there through subsequent invocations of 3.4. However, if I restart the system, then 3.4 again reports that 209 IE items have protection disabled.

    Tried uninstall/reinstall etc. problem still persists.

    Best Regards,

    Mark
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.