Data Partition Protection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

IMO, data protection is achieved doing:
    - Backups.
    - Encryption of sensitive stuff.
    - Read/write control using sandbox options and/or NTFS permissions.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I keep my solution and it's a very good, simple and safe one, but it isn't YOUR solution and that might be a problem for you. ;)

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I already know it isn't:D , but I think you might be over complicating yours.

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I thought about that, until I read your later posts:

Neither does she use unknown sources.

regards,

-rich

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

NOoooooooo! :D

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

with no particular offence to True Crypt but I think at an extract from their site says it all:

"Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password"

I don't know about others on this forum but I rarely meet adversaries who try to get me to reveal my passwords but I guess if I did they would soon realize that all they would have to do is threaten me with a buzz saw and I would reveal all.
    o_O

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well don't feel like lonesome george, :doubt: many of us are in the same boat together when it comes to making the rounds with all these softwares promising this and that and still not being what we expect from them entirely.

I think you'll be very pleased with PC Security though, i only recently a couple of months back took it for a test drive on my PC and i was pleased as pete to discover how very EASY and simple it is while it puts up a proverbial iron wall front by distancing my data partition from ANYTHING that might decide to hitch a ride on it, if you know what i mean. ;)

It's a breeze to LOCK out the data partition On-Line or even make it go away altogether from anything or anyone else and hide :D and anytime you want to move something in or out, just do it in a snap, be done, and relock 'er again.

It runs silent and makes no noise nor pushes on the system resources either. :D

8. ErikAlbert

You don't have any good arguments, so your post doesn't mean anything to me.
    I can say the same about your setup, which is alot more complicated than mine and requires alot more attention than mine. :p

9. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Is there any free software that can do the same or similar as PC Security?

I have also seperated data from OS and app. OS/app on C: and data on D:

Data theft is one thing, but I also want to prevent other users from reading my personal documents. I dont know how TrueCrypt works, but I guess if my D: has 250 GB of data it will be very slow to encrypt/decrypt. An option to hide or password-protect specific folders would be nice.

EA, nice to see you found your solution and thank you for starting this thread. I find it interesting. Hope you dont mind I use this thread instead of starting a new.

10. ErikAlbert

I couldn't find a freeware, but I didn't search long.
    The ones (payware) I downloaded where bad compared with PC Security.
    One required a reboot to lock drives, that is unusable in practice.
    One took too long, it showed a progressing bar to do the job. LOL
    PC Security does it immediately and requires only two clicks in the system tray icon and a PASSWORD of course.

Well I'm very satisfied, I've put it together, but Easter gave me the right software to do the job. The price is quite high, but it has also alot of other settings.

I don't mind at all. I'm not a mod. ;)

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I've read very little to no problems that users have experienced with encryption programs but i am one of those highly skeptical types who clings to the notion of What If?

So What If after encrypting ALL your data for one example then something malfunctions in the program's code either outside or internally, what happens then to all that encrypted data?

I know, reinstall the program again. But what if Windows is really fudged to the point of no return. Hello image restore, i guess, if it also reliably images the encryptable data.

Although they make a good case for securing data in that manner and some users rely on them, I tend to steer far away from them for just that reason.

I have enough to deal with when just plain data goes south sometimes :blink:

12. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks

Unless other suggestions I will consider PC Security.

EDIT: Did not see your last post EASTER. Thanks. I will think twice and be careful if I decide to use encryption.

13. ErikAlbert

Each time, when I write a document or spreadsheet, I have to think does it contain 'private data' or not.
    If it has 'private data', I have to encrypt it, otherwise not. That's not convenient for me.
    I have already enough problems with writing them or translating them. Pffft.

Keep also in mind that encryption is mainly for PHYSICAL theft, while ON-LINE theft happens all the time.
    Once your encrypted container is mounted, your 'private data' is an open book for everybody on the net, until you dismount it.

My original idea was that encryption would make my files UNREADABLE forever and I didn't need to be worried, when my files were stolen via internet, because the thief couldn't read them in a million years, but it doesn't seem to work this way.

I'm not going to protect myself against an accidental physical theft, that might never happen.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Its absurd idea but you can mount off-line,do your business,dismount and go online again. If you can't read encrypted files without a password,how do think that somebody else on the web can read your stolen data,its out of the question. Be sure that the encrypted files are clean,if not checked then encryption is useless.

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

This one has similar features to PC Security but is less pricey.....check it out : InTouch Lock from http://www.lovelysoft.com/

16. ErikAlbert

An encrypted volume/container is like a safebox, once it is closed your docs are safe, once it is open everybody can read and steal them.

Your documents are only safe in two cases :
    1. The container is dismounted
    2. The container is mounted off-line.

17. Peter2150

Erik

You said "online theft happens all the time." So you write an extremely private document. Exactly who is going to want it, and exactly how are they going to steal it.

18. ErikAlbert

Why do you always think it's about me ? I'm talking in general. The world is full of different users with different needs.
    NOBODY is going to steal from me, because I don't have big secrets and money isn't possible anymore, since my new login procedure.
    So I don't have to care about keyloggers anymore, while other users have to protect themselves against keyloggers. For me it's enough to remove keylogger on reboot.

I'm worried about malware that affects my data partition and that problem is solved.

19. Peter2150

The reason I think it was about you was the bolded word in your quote. Since the problem is solved I guess this thread can now grow whiskers.:D

20. ErikAlbert

Oh boy one wrong word. What a crime. :rolleyes:

21. fce

fce Registered Member

software developer loves people who are paranoid. :D

22. ErikAlbert

That's true, I've seen setups here with more than 30 security softwares.
    I have only 4 and still find it too much.

23. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Erik,
    When you post a thread asking for people's inputs, don't turn around and say rude things like " your posts don't mean anything to me".

If you are not in the know and are asking, you oughta keep an open mind. Try not to be arrogant, regardless of how solid your convictions in your setup may be.

24. ErikAlbert

If they don't agree with my setup, let them break it down with good arguments and then I don't have to reply like this. I don't read any.

25. Peter2150

Erik, go back and read your own original post, and then drop the attitude. You asked for help, you asked. Now if you don't like what people are saying you are getting snotty with them.

You answers prompt me to think of the classic line from Gone with the Wind. In case you aren't familiar with it, it goes, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"

Fed Up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.