Data Disk Encryption

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by starfish_001, Sep 22, 2017.

1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I am looking for a solid reliable program for data disk encryption on windows 10 home laptop. Not sure what is best
    BitLocker
    VeraCrypt
    Beecrypt

I am looking for reasonable security and good relaiblitly - any advice would be appreciated

2. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

Why do you need to do this? It's better to buy a safe lock-box if your home is so precarious.
    It's worth considering that if you encrypt, then very often it happens that after some time no one will ever be able to open it. Not You, not anyone. Then it is safely protected for ever.
    And that's true, I've been on the internet and in forums for a long time. One of the main topics is - how to open, help me! I have very important documents there, I need them ....

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, I've been using LUKS in Linux for several years. Typically LUKS on RAID10 arrays. I've had a couple disk failures, so had to replace and rebuild RAID. But LUKS was totally oblivious. You do need to allow booting from degraded RAID array :)

Re Windows, I have seen many "how can I recover my data?" questions for TrueCrypt. Maybe for VeraCrypt too, but I haven't been paying attention. And I did lose a TrueCrypt FDE USB drive, once. So in Windows, I'd probably go with BitLocker, if ability to access data is most important. If security is most important, then maybe VeraCrypt. But others here are more qualified to advise.

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Since you're using W10 on a laptop, and want "reasonable security" and presumably wish to encrypt the system partition, Bitlocker is the best choice, particularly if you have a TPM chip on the laptop.

The reason for saying this is that you are already "owned" by MS, and Bitlocker is supported for the system disk and GPT. In addition, because laptops are frequently being rebooted, you probably do not want to have to enter a sufficiently long password for entropy purposes, every time, and the TPM + Bitlocker effectively allows for a strong password to be produced with a shorter pin or none if you prefer. That does shift the onus then onto protecting your account credentials well (for example with 2FA).

My experience of Bitlocker on Windows is that it is very reliable, though you obviously do need to keep good records for recovery purposes - as you do with any of the other choices.

None of this precludes, of course, use of open source encryption for usb drives etc. though be aware that you are always vulnerable via the operating system.

I'd also point out that threats to data at rest are only one class of attack; for instance, your data may also be exfiltrated or hit by ransomware due to online attacks. For this reason, I'd recommend sandboxing internet facing application or running them in a virtual machine.

5. starfish_001

thanks guys - many of the worries expressed crossed my my mind hence my question. As this is not for me personally; I tend to use vercrypt for data.
    Ease of use and reliable are ahead of ultimate security - the data set will be backed up securely.

Looks like bitlocker is a reasonable choice or perhaps BestCrypt

6. alawyer

alawyer Registered Member

Deslock?

7. starfish_001

deslock looks interesting

8. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

Is it free? Does it have UEFI SecureBoot support?

Edit: Checked their site, FDE is not free. Meh.

9. alawyer

alawyer Registered Member

For free you get what you pay for.

10. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Like Linux?