Data Anchoring in Vista

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mrduke, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrduke

mrduke Registered Member

I have anchored the Users/(users name) folder so that my data follows me to each snapshot. After switching between snapshots, I noticed when checking Windows Update, it states that I have never have checked for updates, and does not list any updates in the Installed Updates History. This occurs in both snapshots. The installed updates are listed in the Vista control panel Programs and Features.

I believe I read somewhere not to anchor the entire Users folder, because it contains some of the user.dat files. Actually the files are in the Users/(users name) folder. Could this be the problem?

Would anchoring each of the folders under the /users name folder individually ,without the hidden .dat files, work OK?

Also, my e-mail program stores it's data in its own folder buried with the AppData folder. Firefox does the same thing. To have this information follow each snapshot, I'm guessing these must be anchored also.

Actually this data anchoring could be pretty complicated. Maybe it would be best to either anchor nothing, or use a separate partition for all data. But would a separate partition work for the e-mail and web browser when the programs look in a specific place for their information?

Boy, this got kind of long!

Duke

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Duke

THe only thing I would anchor is My Documents. In reality unless you have huge video type files I wouldnn't bother. I keep stuff like that on a separate disk, and I don't anchor anything.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Separating your data from system has nothing to do with anchoring or not-anchoring in FDISR.
    There are also members at Wilders, who separated data from system without having FDISR on their computer.

In order to get more response from members, you better ask this question in the forum "Software & Services". Mention also which browser and which email-software you use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.