D-Link ( DI-604 ) router and Zone Alarm Pro. 4

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Accu, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accu

Accu Registered Member

Hi Folks.

First off I hope this is the correct spot to post this?

Now to the problem. When using the above my computer slows right down. I am connected, can surf and get e-mail.

Are these two compatible. What is it I may have missed when configuring ZA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Accu,

Welcome at Wilders. :)

I moved your question to the correct forum.

Enjoy your stay,

Pieter

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Accu,

As far as I know, there shouldn't be any problem using ZAP 4.0 with your D-Link router. There are a few possibilities here and you may need to try a number of things in attempting to resolve this. It could be a setting issue, in which case it should be easy to resolve. It could be a conflict - harder to resolve, but still fixable. Or, there could be some incompatibility within your PC. This happens on rare occasions with almost any software. Some PCs just can't use a particular piece of software. Rare, but it happens.

Configuration issue? Trust the LAN Environment...

Let's look at what settings you can adjust for healthy LAN operations. First, make sure you have your LAN totally trusted in ZAP. You should add the LAN IP addresses for the router and all systems into the ZAP Trusted Zone. Also, you should set the Network and/or Subnet entries (if any appear in the Firewall (panel) > Zones listing) to Trusted. In the Firewall > Main (tab) set the Trusted Zone security to Medium.

This is the basic configuration for using ZA in any LAN environment. I'd set all of this and reboot the system to see if that gives you good operations.

If that doesn't fix it, there are still more things to consider within the Firewall component of ZAP. You need to make sure that DHCP and DNS are flowing easily through the firewall. In Firewall > Main > Internet Zone Security > [Custom] button > try checking the two options for Allowing outgoing DNS and DHCP. Also set these in the Trusted Zone tab.

Slow browsing? Try disabling Privacy...

The only other ZAP component that is likely to interfere with the speed of your operation is the Privacy settings. As a test, completely disable Privacy in its main panel. Close and restart ZAP just to be sure to see if that make a difference.

If none of these fix the problem, then we move to the next possibility - a conflict.

Software conflict? Clean the Registry and Reinstall...

A conflict can be from a bad installation of ZAP, a bad deinstallation of a previous version of ZA or any other firewall software. I'm assuming you don't actually have a second software firewall installed on the system (even if its disabled, it could still cause serious problems).

The things you need to look into here are related mostly to previous software firewalls you've had on your system, either ZA versions or other software firewalls. If they weren't cleanly removed, then you could have issues with some of those old components still effecting your operations in conflict with ZAP.

If this is the case, you may have a bit of work to do. A clean deinstall of ZAP is a good idea using these (link) instructions from Zone Labs. Then, a complete cleaning in the registry of anything related to ZAP or any other firewall. You'll need to use some registry cleaning tool like jv16 powertools. Following a clean reboot, you perform a fresh install of ZAP 4.0.

Still not working?? o_O

If all of the above doesn't fix it, you may just be one of those few people that can't use Zone Alarm Pro. Personally, I think most cases where this happens are related to a conflict with some other software, but, sometimes the connection just can't be determined.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions about what I've written here.

LowWaterMark

4. Accu

Accu Registered Member

Hi There.

Thanks for the great information and your time.

I shall give it a whirl.

Accu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.