Cylance Smart Antivirus for Home users

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mekelek, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

...thereby demonstrating the true value of their product?

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

On my channel.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I saw the video. Thanks CS, no surprise to me

7. cruelsister

Thanks Peter! Please note that this video on Smart Antivirus does not in any way reflect on the Enterprise Protect product. Although that one can also be bypassed, it is much more difficult (with Smart AV it is a trivial matter).

The issue for me that was not brought up in this video is that Smart AV will assign "Unsafe" status to legitimate files that are packed by commonly used packers. This makes Smart AV a FP machine- and when one does cannot distinguish Good from Bad, of what use is the product?

8. mekelek

mekelek Registered Member

CylancePROTECT is the same with scriptors, but at least you can configure it to block every script no matter what.
    problem with this home version is that you can't do anything about it..

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

@cruelsister

10. cruelsister

Agreed. And as the major 2nd opinion scanners also pretty much suck against Scriptors, one may use C Smart AV with secondary scans by either MB and/or HMP and be infected for quite some time without knowing it.

So whenever someone says that they have been using Product X for years without having an infection please slap them for me.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What a joke! Was this malware that used process hollowing? BTW, your video didn't look crisp even in HD, is this YouTube's mistake or what?

12. cruelsister

Not YouTube's fault- I just really, really suck at making videos as I'm not the Artsy-Craftsy sort. If I was I would have a Dramatic Intro (with music!).

As to the malware used- I have a somewhat extensive Worm Zoo- I rate the Worms from 1 to 5 depending on the malware complexity (the difficulty in detection). The worms used here were level 3 (which Ophelia would only *** on) and were nothing special. The Zombie was typical and in no way forked anything.

Please note that I have no axe to grind with C- I just don't want anyone here having false expectations and getting screwed because of them. Cylance spent a TON of cash in promotion, whereas I'm only a lonely Girl trying to make her way in a confusing World...

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank You

14. Gein

Gein Registered Member

There's maybe something that I'm missing here, and If I am set me straight. I haven't been following Cylance and their marketing practices as closely as most of you, and I'm not seeing a massive difference in the way a lot of the major AV/AM companies are advertising their products. I've also seen you bypass the products of different vendors, and I don't remember seeing this kind of vitriol and sideline cheering for any of those videos.

The thread in malwaretips, locked for a second time, had one group of testers claiming bypass on one of the Virus hub sample sets, and another person claiming claiming that the product had successfully managed to block all of the samples. In several of the hub results, which I know have their flaws, Cylance performed comparably to the other vendors. As an outsider looking in, I have absolutely no idea why this product is generating this kind of controversy. And I really haven't seen anything that persuasively indicated that a home user would be significantly worse off using Cylance as a sole solution versus something like Avast, Avira, F-secure, etc.

15. mekelek

in that argument we have a shameless plug shoving products down poor people's throats versus a reputable malware tester. not hard to figure out who to believe.
    Cylance for the price is absolutely suboptimal.

16. Infected

Infected Registered Member

:thumb::thumb:

17. Gein

Gein Registered Member

Don't strawman me. I'm not shoving anything down peoples throat.

18. mekelek

are you called Slyguy? cause then you are.

19. Gein

Gein Registered Member

I am not slyguy. I am however, Spartacus.

20. mekelek

then i wasn't talking about you.

21. Gein

Gein Registered Member

That's weird. The little box says Gein, I could have sworn you were quoting what I had written.

22. mekelek

i'm talking to you but talking about the argument over on MT that was between shills and malware testers. hence the thread got closed.

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As an objective observer and not in any matter familiar with even have done any test to even try it. It always seems to boil down to the fast buck.

IMHO start ups should offer out for FREE versions for Home users for the duration until proven, so the very mention of a price factor early after introduction of course is cause to raise flags right straight out of the gate if you ask me.

Free for HOME users until elections or just the next weather season still doesn't quite pan as worthy of consideration. It's a big deal sticking an AV Product in your machine-there are tons of things to be considered-just a few of them, which apparently are real results, have already been made mention of.

24. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

To be fair. He has stated many times that one shouldn't run Cylance alone.

25. mekelek

to be fair he has proclaimed X product to be the best 20 million times in the past month, just to backpedal and move onto an other one the next day.
    he's a PR shill and people fall for his act.
    enough with the thread hijacking tho

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.