Cybersecurity 5 won't install on 10.7.5 - ESET support is a disaster

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by aspasch, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aspasch

aspasch Registered Member

I just had my case (992577) closed by ESET USA (Joaquim) without a solution.

I am unable to upgrade my Cybersecurity version 4 to 5. The installer fails in the end.

I could generate a log using the Console and I am attaching it. By reading the log it seems the install failed because of the Apple Store software trust verification policy, but my Mac is configured to accept software from any sources.

I tried to install as root but it failed again with the same error.

Can anyone kind help me since ESET won't?

Thank you in advance,

Andre

Attached Files:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does uninstalling CS4 and installing CS5 from scratch work or the same error occurs?

3. aspasch

Yes, same error. Either logged as root user.

Thank you Marcos.

4. aspasch

Just tried on another Mac (10.8 this time - log attached), and I got another failed. Reading the log seems to be the same problem (authorization/permission).

Google for "Failed setting the front application to Installer" show tons of people and software that got the same problem.

Andre

Attached Files:

5. aspasch

Solution found -->> WITHOUT ANY HELP OF ESET support

Problem: Upgrade CS4 to CS5 for the very first time using the weak and not tested CS5 installer/upgrade script will fail.

Solution: Use both CS5 AND CS4 uninstallers and than make a fresh install. After that you will be able to install CS5

Conclusion: It is not possible to upgrade CS4 to CS5.

Andre

6. SandorL

SandorL Registered Member

Hi,
    I could not install on 10.8.2 even though I uninstalled version 4 a long time ago (though I remember a buggy uninstaller, so maybe I deleted some things in the end, but not all), and then version 5's I used too, it still does not work.

To be sure: I see a generic error at the end of the package scripts running. (That I should contact the software vendor.) Is this the permission error (probably)?

Have you learnt anything new apart from running the uninstallers?

Thanks!

7. aspasch

Hi SandorL,

In my case with 10.8 I found on the log ""Application App:"Installer" ... tried to be brought forward, but isn't in fPermittedFrontASNs"". Google'ing for that brought many people and software with problems related to App Store and/or permissions.

Both my log files are attached to this thread (very easy to read).

I than had the idea of: 1) Use the CS5 uninstaller 2) Use the CS4 uninstaller >> MUST USE BOTH AND SAME SEQUENCE <<. Than use the CS5 install.

Hope this can help you since it seems we both are ESET orphans.

Andre

8. SandorL

Thanks again! I'll try the same sequence, then (and I hope my past won't bite me again). One question though: when did you reboot in the process? Never? Thanks!

9. SandorL

Update: Without rebooting it works indeed, the exact same sequence. Thanks a lot!

10. aspasch

I am happy that I could help you, and thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
    Andre

11. Marcos

I was about to provide a script collecting necessary data for troubleshooting the issue. However, it won't be necessary as you've found a solution. The bug was internally fixed last week and the fix will be included in the next release of ESET CyberSecurity.

12. Marcos

According to our findings, the issue should only concern those who had a trial license activated before upgrading to ECS 5. Could you please confirm or deny that this was your case as well?

13. aspasch

Marcos, I can confirm you this is not my case. I have ESET Cyber and /or Smart Security purchased licenses for a long time.

14. Marcos

Hm, maybe there's also another reason causing the issue as the only known one reason is related to activation of a trial version and a special entry added to esets.cfg.
    I'm trying to reproduce it with a regular license and will contact the developers with my findings then. In the mean time, we have published a KB article with instructions how to solve the upgrade issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.