CyberSecurity 5 not starting after reboot?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by SandorL, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandorL

SandorL Registered Member

Hi,
    Finally, after re-uninstalling my long-gone version 4 and the new version 5 finally I could complete previously failed attempts of version 5 install. I was reasonably happy with the experience.

However, as something hang my system completely before (the system looked responsive, but took not input from keyboard nor trackpad as I booted with an iPad connected — this was after failed install attempts), I thought prudent to have an Onyx automated maintenance run while Eset also started its first scan. When Onyx finished overnight, I paused the scan and rebooted. Now Eset CS 5 did not start automatically and cannot even start manually. (I checked with activity monitor, nothing from eset did start.)

I hope I get some help with this, I am wasting too much time on this now, while I already have the license…

Thanks,

Laszlo

MacBook Pro early 2011, Mac OS X 10.8.2

2. SandorL

Update: I took time and uninstalled-and-reinstalled version 5, which I regret: Still no start after reboot (this time no messing with Onyx or pausing a scan). However, I found a process running after I tried to fire up ESET manually, but it barely uses the CPU (in Activity Monitor) and does not pop a window or the icon in the menu bar.

See process sample attached.

This is a disaster, I did not know I was such an early adopter. This is 'the' version you get if you follow Harvard's antivirus recommendation (the only AV we get licensed, even).

Attached Files:

3. SandorL

Ah, and the process crashed (stopped) soon afterwards, without me doing anything. Sigh.

4. SandorL

After another reboot, I saw 'the' app (Eset CyberSecurity) among processes in Activity Monitor but not in the menu bar, and also an eset-daemon process (and a third quickly transient one), but they finished or crashed after a while.

5. SandorL

This is becoming bizarre.

Update: I cannot be sure it's related, but my MBP panicked (for the first time ever) instead of going to sleep (while still Spotlight indexing, but ESET finished/crashed), and after booting up, ESET is running now, visible in the menu bar, though things are very sluggish...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.