Cyberhawk vs System Safety Monitor Free Editon?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

There has to be awareness about threat perception, only then one should attempt to run advanced security programs on their PC.

2. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

yes alerts can be anoying, but its a simple thing to reconsile . . "do i want some alerts when a new exe runs, or something tries to inject code into another program ? or do i just want to let AI sort it and hope nothing messes up, or leave it and let my pc get hosed" HIPS does not have to be that bad. config it and you only get a few popups

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's want I can do with the great AppDefend.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Security is a cat and mouse game, HIPS need lots of input but then it also makes one secure till newer unknown methods are invented, point is all this takes the pleasure out of PC and net yet the irony is that one has to live with them, so far, with Pro Security+Avast+Hostsman (Thanks to VC on that ), I am yet to be affected with a known malware or spyware or virus but the who knows what the future holds.

5. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

just installed CyberHawk..
    why is it that CH does not startup on restart?
    CHService is running but not CHtray.exe

6. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

lol
    no idea

7. Cyberhawk Support

Cyberhawk Support Registered Member

We are aware of issues with the tray icon sometimes not appearing, and we are looking in to it. For now, normally a reboot will set things straight again.

Becky Dubrow

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Don't know about you guys, but my tray icon is running fine along side all mentioned in my sig. Yes Yes I know its a lot and its not permanent, at least I hope not. Still testing them out. I have SSM in learning mode so it can learn first. Cyberhawk is getting along fine except it doesn't like OA AV+ KAV engine, keeps disabling it on restart, saying its injecting itself into another process and Cyberhawk isn't learning when I click "accept all the time".

dja2k

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

CyberHawk and Dynamic Security Agent do not go along.

What is this discussion of behavorial anomolies programs are not HIPS, forrester mentions them as HIPS (after all they protect against intrusion by alerting on abnormal behavior)

Attached Files:

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Cyberhawk is a behavior monitor. SSM also monitors behavior, but behavior monitoring is a very small subset of all the protective modules incorporated into SSM. Further, CH's behavior monitoring makes good use of *community input* whereas SSM doesn't really do so.

Thus, CH & SSM make great teammates. I have been running them side-by-side for several weeks -- flawlessly. CH loads just fine on my box, by the way, as does SSM.

Participation in CH's community is voluntary after a fashion -- BUT CH cuts you off from automatic updates if you disable your participation in the community.

Oh -- I almost forgot: CH's "Protection Log" keeps a record in YOUR computer of suspicious entries, & whether you allowed or blocked them. CH's "Undo" function offers to reverse any or all of those actions if you want. I've never tested the "Undo" option because my decisions are always flawless.

Ho-ho, I'm just keeding mon about that flawless schtuff.:D

11. bryanjoe

The icon does not appear after numerous reboot. However, CHService.exe is still present. Am i still protected?

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Isn,t it a bug of XP itself?

13. bryanjoe

i un-installed both SSM and CH.
    Thereafter, I installed CH first, re-start.
    Installed SSM again and restart.

Everything ok now..

Could be an error earlier on when SSM prompt me when installing CH.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s fine. Good work.

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

At our home my son uses Antivir+SSM+BufferZone for FF, my Wife uses Antivir + CB+ DefenseWall.

What is great about CyberHawk is that it can be used by a security novice. No learning curve, only the message: When CB pop-ups - always bock once without remembering option. Still the complete security novice has to consult someone when they engage a warning. All the time my wife is using her PC with CB installed, only once a CB-warning popped-up, when she installed a web cam. Still CyberHawk is not completely monkey proof, because the PC user still has to decide on anomolies.

What is great about SSM free is that a offers a lot of protection for free. For a Hips it is reasonably intelligent (it considers DLL injection etc as an exception). Most other classical HIPS have the disadvantage that in learning mode they allow everything (e.g process modifcation, termination, ect). It does what CB does plus something more (application monitor whether or not to allow programs to start).

To me: SSM is more for the knowledgable PC user (like my son) and CB for the security novice (like my wife), so they are for different customer segments. In those segments SSM and CB are best in class products.

I used to have Antivir + CB + DSA + GeSWall. Because the new release of CB does not go along with DSA (Dynamic Security Agent) I have switched over to SSM and removed both DSA and CB. I still think CB is an extraordinary good program which matches high protection to high user friendliness and usability. I advice CB to every PC user not willing to the dig into the specifics of security.

Regards Kees

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

SSM can prove intimidating untill after someone takes some effort to understand the meanings presented by the prompts but it is well worth that effort to keep a good machine protected. CYBERHAWK goes another step with the community approach and it is noteworthy that it works like a charm alongside SSM.

I fell hard over CH when i first examined it's workings with malware tests and real threats and for me anyway it has IMPROVED even more which is a tremendous PLUS in my book.

Great topic discussion and reviews. :)

17. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Cyberhawk = Behavior Blocker and System Safety Monitor = HIPS, so where does Prevx1 = CHIPS belong in the mix or it gets eliminated completely or can it be a substitute? Comments? One thing though, programs execute a bit faster without Prevx1 having to check online for verification.

dja2k

18. bryanjoe

I was performing some installing / un-installing on Prevx1, CyberHawk and SSM.

The icon disppeared on the combo of Prevx and CyberHawk.
    No problem for SSM and CH.

There maybe already some errors on my system itself. So not too sure, why when Prevx n CH running together, the icon fail to startup.

19. bryanjoe

damn it.... :(

i un-installed AVG Free / Comodo, then i restart, the CH Icon appear again.

Seem like not a conflict btw CH n Prevx1.

It could be low system resources, I have 256MB Ram and running AVG, Comodo, SSM, Prevx, SnoopFree, SpyTerminator, Hostmans and finally CyberHawk. Hee hee :D

I noticed that if CH load first, the icon will appear. If it load last especially after Prevx, the icon will not appear.... I maybe wrong again...

Any way to queue these application startup?

20. korb

korb Registered Member

i used to had CH few months back when it not as popular as today.i uninstalled it after sys. slowdown.after reading this thread,i 'm tempted and installed it aghain yesterday.so far the new version are stable.CH are running along side by side with SSM(free) and COMODO .mem usage are abot ram6.76mb virtual:4.43 mb for chservice.exe and ram:4.06mb virtual:1.94mb for chtray.exe. bootup time to reach window logon is about 1 min 12 sec.fastest than when i had 'DSA' installed.

now we see ssm and CH work together.how about DSA and CH combo?DSA make my sys slowdown during bootup.

21. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

So are you saying that Cyberhawk (Behavior Analysis) , SSM (HIPS) , and Prevx1 (CHIPS) can run fine together? Wouldn't that be three hooks to the kernel?

dja2k

22. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I would definitely choose SSM Free over CH, I really don´t know what´s so special about CH, personally I like to be alerted about every suspicious application behaviour, something that CH does not seem to do. And I know it´s trying to be intelligent (or something) but at the moment I really do not think it´s good enough, I´m not impressed. I´m also not into the whole community thing btw. :rolleyes:

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That classical HIPS don,t do either. They alert u about anything, suspicious or legit/ vital.

24. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The thing is, it´s up to you to decide if something is suspicious or not, and other HIPS like SSM and Neoava Guard also alert you about "trusted apps" (unless you tell them not to). CH does not alert about a whole lot of stuff, so I don´t see the point. I mean it alerts about "Process memory modification" by an app like for example StrokeIt, but what about other stuff? It also alerted me about a process trying to hide itself, but couldn´t identify the app. I just do not like it. :blink:

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Well I can guess, Anyone using two classical HIPs at a time sure will not like such an application.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.